Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Looking at small walk behinds 21-34" mowers, need help.

I have been in business for about 10 years now but have never really put much focus on small mowers for smaller yards. I usually just take on jobs with big open properties. I've turned down a lot of small jobs because I could not access fenced in back yards and didn't want to spend thousands on a 36" walk behind or stand on mower. I currently have 2 push mowers (was 1 push and 1 walk but the gears won't stop breaking on the toro), a toro 22 recycler and my first ever purchase, a poulan pro 21 push. I am unhappy with the cut quality of both of these mowers.

Basically, I need some help on getting a new small mower or 2 and would like to spend $1,000 or less give or take. My area has gravely/ariens, honda, toro, exmark. I'm interested in some of the 30" self propelled walk behinds that are out on the market now but don't know if they are going to be worth buying. Also thought about just getting a couple of $300-$500 quadcut hondas. What are you guys using and suggesting? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The jury is still out on whether the toro/exmark 30''ers are worth buying or not. I would look at possibly a 36'' walkbehind used off of Craigslist. I got my 36 for $400 and its still running fine 4 years later. Just my opinion. I dont carry a 21 around, they just seem to be a hassle for any of my properties.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Limited commercial owner operator use consumer model Toro TimeMaster 30.

Advantages of the Consumer model has over the commercial Examk/Toro:

Considerably cheaper.
35+ pounds lighter.
Handle folds up and down and even over mower for storage space and sometimes it's VERY handy on the fly getting under trees or bushes.
Extremely ridiculously fast front and back height adjustments.
You can use the higher lift commercial blades on it.
Personal Pace drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I forgot the option of electric start for shear speed of restarting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Limited commercial owner operator use consumer model Toro TimeMaster 30.

Advantages of the Consumer model has over the commercial Examk/Toro:

Considerably cheaper.
35+ pounds lighter.
Handle folds up and down and even over mower for storage space and sometimes it's VERY handy on the fly getting under trees or bushes.
Extremely ridiculously fast front and back height adjustments.
You can use the higher lift commercial blades on it.
Personal Pace drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think the 35 lb. weight difference would make the residential
model a bit more nimble than the commercial one. The door is open slightly but I have pretty much moved on with the idea of buying the commercial 30. The lack of agility and it being cumbersome to turn are deal breakers. I would sacrifice durability for ease of use with residential model.

Do you think the timemaster would hold up for a few hours a week if owner operated? Is the quality of cut decent? For a thousand dollars it maybe worth the risk. I have been looking at 32" wbs on the used market and there is nothing out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I think the 35 lb. weight difference would make the residential
model a bit more nimble than the commercial one. The door is open slightly but I have pretty much moved on with the idea of buying the commercial 30. The lack of agility and it being cumbersome to turn are deal breakers. I would sacrifice durability for ease of use with residential model.

Do you think the timemaster would hold up for a few hours a week if owner operated? Is the quality of cut decent? For a thousand dollars it maybe worth the risk. I have been looking at 32" wbs on the used market and there is nothing out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Over on the other threads there has been some comments of why not swivel front wheels. The consumer time master doesn't need them.

The higher lift blades make a noticeable difference in discharge distance catcher puff factor.

The ease of use of the lighter consumer model, side discharge, height adjustment, mulch mode and rear bagger make it a win/win.

My Quick 32 WB flat out slays the Toro TimeMaster in cut quality but it's not in production currently. 32 WB are bigger, heavier and more cumbersome and your stuck with side discharge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Think I'm going to settle on getting 2 gravely xd3 wb's. I tried a 34"WAW a couple of years ago and I think it made me very leery of low priced wider wb's.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuy309 View Post
Think I'm going to settle on getting 2 gravely xd3 wb's. I tried a 34"WAW a couple of years ago and I think it made me very leery of low priced wider wb's.
Xd3...? That a 21" is it not?

Yeah those low end WB's I'd pass on those as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah they are the 21's. The only real option for me in my area is the gravely dealer because of their great commercial cutter customer service. The only good chioces for the smaller 36" or less gravelys are about $4-5,000. The other brands don't seem to be all that promising after looking into them.