Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Should I do lawn care in my spare time?
Yes, worth a try with your equipment 5 35.71%
Yes, but be prepared and plan accordingly more hours than you expect 7 50.00%
No, just stick to your own yard 2 14.29%
No, not willing to commit enough time 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thinking of Starting Part-Time all suggestions are appreciated.

I work 8-5 everday and make a good living but I am single and can make some extra time, especially to be able to fish a little more often. I own a new Scag Turf Tiger 61" BB with lights, Echo 266T trimmer, Echo 770T Backpack Blower, Echo CS 310 Chainsaw, all organized in an enclosed trailer for my personal use now, but I thought I may be able to make some extra money by working a few nights a week. The market is fairly saturated and I pretty much understand my operating costs, but curious as to how much I need to work to make it worth the wear and tear on my own equipment, if I need to purchase additional Equipment, and any other Pertinent information? Please help, If I shouldn't try it, that is fine, I just have some really nice equipment to use on my own property, but if I should I own it all already!

Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not to come across too sour at you or nothing in response to this question. But anyway the reason this market is so saturated is do to this type situation also, and not just the hacks with their pickup trucks out there. Although some on here might say hey go for it, and its good to see the dedication to do something. I do indeed feel that way as well, although this market is saturated and just recently saturated by all walks of life, which burns me up. So just my opinion, choose a profession and leave the lawn and lanscaping to the professionals that are struggling to operate in this economy. The ones that did just that from the beginning of choosing only lawn and landscaping as their profession
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

That is your opinion and I take it into consideration, I actually have a very nice career that keeps me inside all day long and I enjoy being outside and have been tending to my 5 acres, my parents 5 acres, my neighbors 4 acres, my grandmothers 15 acres for years and so whereas, I can't say I am a professional I do have experience, nice equipment and set-up, and I feel like you are upset because it has been tough to make it due to competition, you could say "No, I don't think you should" that would be sufficient. But for the professional, I felt like that was an unprofessional response and I appreciate the feedback, but I think you could have done it better! Thanks for your response all others will be appreciated as well!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerslc View Post
That is your opinion and I take it into consideration, I actually have a very nice career that keeps me inside all day long and I enjoy being outside and have been tending to my 5 acres, my parents 5 acres, my neighbors 4 acres, my grandmothers 15 acres for years and so whereas, I can't say I am a professional I do have experience, nice equipment and set-up, and I feel like you are upset because it has been tough to make it due to competition, you could say "No, I don't think you should" that would be sufficient. But for the professional, I felt like that was an unprofessional response and I appreciate the feedback, but I think you could have done it better! Thanks for your response all others will be appreciated as well!
saying "no, i dont think you should"...wouldnt have explained my opinion on the topic at all......simply put, you got the point of being upset due to competition. Lawn and landscaping professions are too easily obtained and easy to get going, even where there is lack of experience or even professionalism so to speak. There needs to be more professional regulations and guidlines to do so. I'm just simply sick of seeing that, from the guy pulling around his mowers with a pinto, to the guy with a full time job and all the indusrties best equipment, wanting to make the so called easy dollars, or extra money. Being under disciplined, or (undeserving...again my opinion) is no way of saturating a market where some have dedicated their entire livelyhood as you did your 8 to 5 everyday choice
Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLANDER View Post
saying "no, i dont think you should"...wouldnt have explained my opinion on the topic at all......simply put, you got the point of being upset due to competition. Lawn and landscaping professions are too easily obtained and easy to get going, even where there is lack of experience or even professionalism so to speak. There needs to be more professional regulations and guidlines to do so. I'm just simply sick of seeing that, from the guy pulling around his mowers with a pinto, to the guy with a full time job and all the indusrties best equipment, wanting to make the so called easy dollars, or extra money. Being under disciplined, or (undeserving...again my opinion) is no way of saturating a market where some have dedicated their entire livelyhood as you did your 8 to 5 everyday choice
Now that, I can definitely appreciate! I understand and will take it into consideration. Thanks you!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLANDER View Post
not to come across too sour at you or nothing in response to this question. But anyway the reason this market is so saturated is do to this type situation also, and not just the hacks with their pickup trucks out there. Although some on here might say hey go for it, and its good to see the dedication to do something. I do indeed feel that way as well, although this market is saturated and just recently saturated by all walks of life, which burns me up. So just my opinion, choose a profession and leave the lawn and lanscaping to the professionals that are struggling to operate in this economy. The ones that did just that from the beginning of choosing only lawn and landscaping as their profession

So if you use a truck, you're a hack? Ummm...ok?
Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the only thing that burns me up are the guys who do it on the side that will cut any lawn, any size for $25.00 or even less. Sure they can do this, get plenty of accounts at cheap prices because they are doing it under the table, don't have proper licensing or insurance. People can be mad (i get irritated when i look through craigslist ads. hehe), but its always gonna be like that, i've been on and off this board for the past 9 years, gas prices have doubled and the price of a lawn cut keeps going down.

anyways, i think if this is what you want to do you should be asking yourself if you should do it, rather than asking random dudes on the internet. I can see asking HOW to do it though. good luck with it.

Last edited by inzane; 03-12-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: due to my 4th grade level grammar
Old 03-12-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
the only thing that burns me up are the guys who do it on the side that will cut any lawn, any size for $25.00 or even less. Sure they can do this, get plenty of accounts at cheap prices because they are doing it under the table, don't have proper licensing or insurance. People can be mad (i get irritated when i look through craigslist ads. hehe), but its always gonna be like that, i've been on and off this board for the past 9 years, gas prices have doubled and the price of a lawn cut keeps going down.

anyways, i think if this is what you want to do you should be asking yourself if you should do it, rather than asking random dudes on the internet. I can see asking HOW to do it though. good luck with it.
Absolutely not, the wear and tear on my equipment is worth more than that and yes I would purchase insurance, no doubt, I already have a quote, but we don't have a licensing requirement but I would be legitimate and would charge enough to make it worth my time and if that meant not getting a single account so be it, I have figured my operating costs, hours I would be willing to commit and profit I would need to make, just asking for advice and additional equipment I may need. I would do a quality job and expect a quality price. I am just needing equipment issues and time aspects considered and thought I could gain some insight with guys with wisdom and experience!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

As a kid starting up this year, I do have three years experience in landscaping with my summer job and am in college full time, I wish I had the equipment you currently have. And yes, I am working out of my truck right now, I cant afford to pay for college, equipment, gas, and travel to school. I may not have the best equipment, I only have two 21" push behind mowers, Echo Trimmers, 2 Hand held blowers, etc. But I am taking the risk of starting my own business, over the last three years for me I have grown to love mowing lawns, working outside, and being proud of making lawns look great. Am I an expert? No. Can I mow a lawn, make it look good and the customer happy? Yes. Will I mow a lawn for $25.00? Nope, not unless its tiny like some of the lawns here.

I do go market value for the lawns, and thats how I would rather have my accounts, I dont want 50 $25.00 lawns, I would rather wait for the ones that are higher paying and worth more money. So I went legal and am starting out.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Do I need any other equipment? Hedge trimmers? Edgers? Both? Which first? Any ideas please any other equipment?
Posted via Mobile Device