Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those pics are great! A few friends and I put on a rail jam in down town Pittsburgh a couple years ago. we have ties to a local ski resort so we got our hands on a Techno-Alpin M18 snow fan (the kind used on ski slopes, mounted it to a trailer and hooked it up to a fire hydrant.

We had a foot of snow and two skid steers moving it. built two ramps out of scaffolding and had an awesome show. it.was the only snow in the area. good times.for sure!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats pretty awesome. I am actually in with a couple of DPW guys in my city and we were talking about how much fun it would be for kids in the area to coat one of the hills in a park with about 5 feet of snow, after they saw my front yard on the news. I offered my 4 snow makers if they could get the City to allow us to use a fire hydrant and a tow behind air compressor for two nights, which is all it would take. Give me 10 degree temp, and 40 gpm 115psi water, 8 cfm @ 100 psi and im good to go. It would cost about $200 dollars in water, $80 in diesel, and thats about it.

I would be maintaining it(since its across the street from my house). They would take care of all the legalities.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-12-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Btw, over here in MN we have two chances for accumulating snow in the next week, 2-5" Friday night and 5-10" Sun/Mon. We won't be seeing turf for a while unfortunately. I'll take the easy money but I want warm weather!
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Btw, over here in MN we have two chances for accumulating snow in the next week, 2-5" Friday night and 5-10" Sun/Mon. We won't be seeing turf for a while unfortunately. I'll take the easy money but I want warm weather!
i personally think! The longer winter is, the more people want to spend upfront for spring to get everything look great right away! Ill come and help you, id like to push some more snow! I just sent my 13k dollar commercial bill as the end of year bill for one of my biggest lots. Contract ends April 15th, i dont think he will have a problem paying it now though.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That would be awesome! we had to rent a towbehind diesel water pump to up the pressure of the hydrant. line pressure wasn't enough, but the M18 has an onboard compressor and weather station. It would adjust itself to the conditions by its self. IIRC they run over $100k/ each.

it worked wonderfully.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
i personally think! The longer winter is, the more people want to spend upfront for spring to get everything look great right away! Ill come and help you, id like to push some more snow! I just sent my 13k dollar commercial bill as the end of year bill for one of my biggest lots. Contract ends April 15th, i dont think he will have a problem paying it now though.
You do have a point with that! Never thought of it that way. As long as we have a rapid warm up after these storms then people will be wanting everything to get done as soon as possible.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
You do have a point with that! Never thought of it that way. As long as we have a rapid warm up after these storms then people will be wanting everything to get done as soon as possible.
exactly. There is no snow on the ground here, besides my backyard , but its still under 40 degrees and freezing pretty solid every night

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

EDDM update. We have not done any as of now but I did stop at the local post office today to ask some questions.

If doing EDDM I highly suggest stopping at your PO first and asking questions because I got differnt answers than expected.

We work alot in a zip code 55331 it covers 5 smaller cities. 1 post office. Stopped there talked with them for a bit. They do not do any of there own mailing from there it all goes to the city over where not only the 5 cities from 55331 go but also the 3 other bigger cities and zip codes next to them.

So that actually made my life easier one place to go not 4. So I called them to get answers. They said they can not recieve money at that location so I need to goto the Chanhassen or 55317 PO drop everything there. No problem it's 1/4 mile from my house. So I can hit 8 cities or 4 zipcodes by going to one PO.

Next thing was how many per bundle 50 or 100. He said whatever works for you. Also said he didn't care if it was the whole route in one bundle but the receiving PO may so stick with 100.

Next was do I need a route cover sheet on each bundle or just the top of the whole route. he said the whole route is it. No reason to waste paper and make it more confusing.

Point is I would check with your specific PO to make sure you get it right and don't do extra work.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you selected your routes online yet, ryde? When I selected mine it showed which post office I had to bring the postcards to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have looked through them I knew which offices handled which routes but did not realize there was a central hub for my area that handled all the post offices. Originally I thought I would have to goto 4 PO to get the routes I was after. Now I only need to goto 1 and only deal with 1 way of doing things.