Register free!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok back again I checked my soil and its 52 degress this morning been warm last week after two weeks of snow on the ground. Also agweather shows my area in low 50s. http://agweather.mesonet.org/index.p...ion/soil_water

I have a spreader and some Pre-M 0-0-7 so now is the time right?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not near your state. But I would say time is right for pre-emergent crabgrass control, if your soil temp is 52. That should mean you air temps have hit around 70 a few times, right? If crabgrass has been a problem be sure to use the maximum rate allowed on the bag. And be sure and do a second application about 6 to 8 weeks later. Don't be surprised if you need some broadleaf weed control before long also. Normal to need more broadleaf weed control later in the season also.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok so I am just starting summer now. I Switched from Pre-M to Dimension this year. It has done a much better job imo than Pre-M last 2 years, but I still have some small spots of Crabgrass and the occasional other nuisance weed or grass. Can you tell me what I can use now to combat the growing nuisances that will not hurt my Bermuda? I need to fertilize again so if its a mixture that will work also.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ortho weed and crabgrass killer would be a good bet. Be sure to follow the label directions carefully. Treat early and often--you don't want crabgrass to get big and tough before you spray. Or weeds for that matter.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...temId=cat50064
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok so back again this season. About 3 weeks ago I put down some Dimension crab grass preventer Now I have some weeds popping up that I want to know if I can go after them now. My bermuda is still dormant and hasn't started greening up next to driveway or bricks yet. I was planning on using Ortho Weed B Gon Max for Sothern Lawns Looks like main ingredient is 2,4-D others are listed on that page.

I have some dandelions along with the following weeds that I am unsure of the name.
Weed #1 Henbit ??

Weed #2

Similar to weed 2

Some other flowery looking weed

Small grassy weed mixed with first weed.

Have a few 70 degree days coming up was planning on spraying the weed-b-gone then. As always thanks for the help.

Last edited by blake711; 03-12-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like henbit.
http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/henbit_10/
Second weed is hairy bittercress. The Ortho product is a good choice for those.

The weedy grass is poa annua...more difficult problem. I am not from bermuda country so you will have to relie on more local advice for that problem.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

blake711, its too late to get rid of the poa annua. itll die off on its own when temps start warming and bermuda will replace it. im fromgeorgia it sticks around through mid april if you have it but it will die. to prevent next yr use a pre-emergent september and maybe oct depending on your weather. im not familiar with
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

and if you dont have a lot of the bittercress just pull it up roots should b very shallow
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Since you are in Tulsa, you are north of me. I just quit spraying Glyphosate in dormant bermuda on large areas last week. I might still spot spray it in certain areas(still dormant) but probably only this week. After that, no more using it for me unless it is used as a non-selective. Bermuda is beginning to green a little in thin areas and close to concrete and brick. You are probably running about a week behind me so you still have time...but not much. The little flower weed is called "Star of Bethlehem". 3-way won't kill it but R-Up will. If not killed it will go dormant through summer only to return next spring. 3-way will also do nothing for the annual bluegrass(poa annua) and yes, it will die with the heat but R-Up will take it out too if caught in time.

If you mix according to directions on the label, a misting of your herbicide of choice should be all it takes.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor

Last edited by ted putnam; 03-12-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
and if you dont have a lot of the bittercress just pull it up roots should b very shallow
That is actually my worst one Its pretty bad on my back yard. The front is pretty clean.