Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Should I do lawn care in my spare time?
Yes, worth a try with your equipment 5 35.71%
Yes, but be prepared and plan accordingly more hours than you expect 7 50.00%
No, just stick to your own yard 2 14.29%
No, not willing to commit enough time 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I figure if your just mowing some lawns your all set. You would have to file a DBA I believe, as thats what I did for this year, hopefully will be incorporated or a LLC next year.

I have an edger and a hedge trimmer just out of the necessity of needing them to do my own yard, and a couple clients, so for me it paid off. I would see if clients want those services and if it makes sense get them. I found that alot of clients here do want a nice edge done.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLLandscaping View Post
I figure if your just mowing some lawns your all set. You would have to file a DBA I believe, as thats what I did for this year, hopefully will be incorporated or a LLC next year.

I have an edger and a hedge trimmer just out of the necessity of needing them to do my own yard, and a couple clients, so for me it paid off. I would see if clients want those services and if it makes sense get them. I found that alot of clients here do want a nice edge done.
Thanks I can use hedge trimmers at my house but not the edger, but I need to feel it out was thinking about Dba vs LLC and LLC is only $125 plus annual report so not too bad and may go that route, I am just trying to be completely prepared before hunting down clients and then deciding against it. It is rural here and I don't mind big properties, but I would love to find some fairly close together to prevent a ton of travel time and wasted time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

My plan was to go neighborhood by neighborhood that are sorta close together, I have a fairly large number of houses within 6 miles of my "office" and my house.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

SO it was OK when you where getting started but God forbid a new person trying.Unless your buying his equiptment wich ofcourse your not,who gives you the write to dictate WHO and What should be in this buisness.HACK AND THERE PICK UP TRUCK.....Mabey thats all they have!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

To answer your original question... your equipment sounds pretty good for just starting out. Just realize that because you can't offer aerating, dethathing, spraying, edging and so forth... that other companies can. Not saying this will hold you back.. just realize you won't be able to do some of the things the professionals can.

I think this is partially why some members are getting upset. They have all of this equipment to meet the needs of the account and they could possibly be beaten out by someone in their truck. Not saying i'm one of these people.
Hell. May the best man win

Final advice.. You start up the right way, legal, dont steal accounts, and honesty will get you a long way. Run with the equipment you have now and add on as need be.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Clawncare View Post
Final advice.. You start up the right way, legal, dont steal accounts, and honesty will get you a long way. Run with the equipment you have now and add on as need be.
I think this is the best advice so far
Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I think this is the best advice so far
I couldn't agree more, I will not steal accounts at all, the busines that I am in on my day job is somewhat dependent on you guys, I would be legitimate, I just want to be sure I am prepared! Thanks. Costs me too much on my day job to backdoor or not do things correctly!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerslc View Post
I work 8-5 everday and make a good living but I am single and can make some extra time, especially to be able to fish a little more often. I own a new Scag Turf Tiger 61" BB with lights, Echo 266T trimmer, Echo 770T Backpack Blower, Echo CS 310 Chainsaw, all organized in an enclosed trailer for my personal use now, but I thought I may be able to make some extra money by working a few nights a week. The market is fairly saturated and I pretty much understand my operating costs, but curious as to how much I need to work to make it worth the wear and tear on my own equipment, if I need to purchase additional Equipment, and any other Pertinent information? Please help, If I shouldn't try it, that is fine, I just have some really nice equipment to use on my own property, but if I should I own it all already!

Thanks
I have a full time job and have been part-time for 14 years. I started out with what I had for my own four acre yard and grew as I needed things. I didn't get insurance when I first started but I should have.

Today I have all the equipment I need and my business is insured and incorporated. I'm DOT registered and have my Commercial Pesticide Applicators license for turf and ornamentals.

Why do all this you might ask? To run a professional and profitable business that I can take full time at a moments notice.

Best wishes on your new business.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
I have a full time job and have been part-time for 14 years. I started out with what I had for my own four acre yard and grew as I needed things. I didn't get insurance when I first started but I should have.

Today I have all the equipment I need and my business is insured and incorporated. I'm DOT registered and have my Commercial Pesticide Applicators license for turf and ornamentals.

Why do all this you might ask? To run a professional and profitable business that I can take full time at a moments notice.

Best wishes on your new business.
I am an insurance agent, so I would have to have insurance, I see too much and know too much! I insure a lot of lawn care guys in my area, I am going to feel out the market and see what is out there!