Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Red Thread Treatment?

What can I put down to treat Red Thread? Any information is much appreciated.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can use any number of fungicides , yet with red thread I have always felt the best course of action has been to reduce moisture and fertilize .
Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Correct watering schedule dictated mainly by the actual need of the grass...then followed by a solid and correct fertilization plan will reduce it. Reach for fungicides last.

Clients want quick and easy....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like how Exact noted, "... actual need of the grass",,, which of course is going to do the proverbial, 'ounce of prevention'...
Some people really like the fungicides and are in awe about how well they work(over time) but IMO, I think of it as sweeping a dirt floors to keep it clean...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some types of perennial rye are very susceptible to red thread. What kind of grass do you have in Fairfax station? Be sure of your diagnosis. Be sure you are licensed and equipped to apply it as a spray. Granular fungicide probably not enough.
Normally it does not appear this early. Temps over 85 with warm humid nights stimulate its spread.
I think Heritage is the best fungicide for red thread...costly, though. Other strobins may be almost as good. Read the labels and university recommendations carefully--don't waste your time with a fungicide that almost works.
Keep nitrogen levels high--using slow release for a steady feeding of N.
Try to reduce average humidity. Never water after 2 pm. Try to water no more than 3 days per week--two days if you can get away with it. Water so that the grass has a chance to dry before nightfall.
Is this an overseed situation?
Is ryegrass really suited to the site?
If possible switch to a higher quality rye. One that at least CLAIMS to re resistant to red thread, specifically.
"Disease resistant" seed is good, but not near as good as a seed which claims to be "red thread" resistant.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have tall fescue.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/plantpath/e...all_Fescue.htm

Actually brown patch is the most common disease of tall fescue. Most severe when day night temps are 70 to 90. And weather is warm and rainy or humid.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is reaasurance Penn State U.,, that you may as well wait for the weather to change and be sure you're irrigating sensibly... fungicide will minimize symptoms, maybe,, but isn't expected to cure anything...

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...ses/red-thread

"In most turf situations, these diseases are not sufficiently severe to warrant fungicide treatment. Occasionally, however, pure stands of ryegrass or fine fescues may become severely blighted during wet weather. In such cases fungicide treatment will minimize symptoms. "
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It will typically go away on its own. But, if its persistent or severe, I'd bet you have a pH or compaction problem. Red thread is a low growth vigor disease. Find out what's causing that. Low pH can cause nutrients to be unavailable to the plant, compaction causes all sorts of problems. Take a soil probe and pull some cores. Get a soil test done by a reputable lab.Hard to do? Compacted soil. Aerate it. PH off? Correct that. Over seed it with a resistant variety.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I recently put a liquid fungicide down along with Milorganite. It seems I have stopped it from spreading. Is there anything else I can do?