Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hide Away Ramp

I think is what you are looking for.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=171208
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those are real nice. Looks like somebody made them.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

FYI - I just saw this thread, I have a truck ramp we used for 2 years, love the thing. One of my guys totaled the truck going 10mph, and we now have more trailers than trucks, so I didn't remount it.

I would sell mine for a good price if anyone was interested. hitch mounted, bears the brunt of the weight, also dual fold ramp with hydraulic damper folds up, clips into place. You dont remove the tailgate, the base of the ramp rests on the tailgate for additional support. Powder coated, I think its either 1100 or 1200 lb capacity. I've unloaded a Walker on it, and wouldn't do that again, mainly because the deck rollers got hung up, but the ramp was maxed out. My guys did ding up the rear bed of the truck with this setup, just from loading it too fast, but the bed was already dinged up.

I had it in the back of a longbed f-150 and loved the setup. Guys would roll a 36 walk behind into the back, blowers and hand tools beside it, rachet strap it down and go.

Great setup I looked for more options, and there just aren't any good ones like this out there anymore. I'm in Birmingham al if anyone's interested, shoot me an email or PM. Cheers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been looking at this bad ass ramp = http://www.discountramps.com/big-boy-trike-ramp.htm

I'm getting a harley street glide next month and thought that if i am going to get a ramp, why not get one that will be snowblower/wb+mower/motorcycle worthy. The only thing i am unsure of so far is the price. I havent looked around enough at these types of ramps but it wreaks safety and efficentcy. Price is pretty steep however. I like that it is aluminum so that it wont rust. Anyone have or think of sporting this ramp?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I've never really been interested in a ramp that is permenantly attached or puts all its weight on the tailgate. If you do the latter, you are entirely reliant on the steel tailgate cables to hold up your new expensive toy.

The steel ramps are well known, but yes a big heavier. If I remember correctly price was around 1000-1500 for a well made steel one as I have used. Any other ramps spooked me with thoughts of them sliding off or rolling or tearing up the tailgate. Good luck either way!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not sure if you were replying to my post or the latters, but the ramps i linked the website to are aluminum. I'm hoping that if i decide to drop the 1k on them that the work out great.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I was responding to yours, but only able to view from my phone. That ramp itself looks very stout, however I wouldn't even think of loading a trike without that "assist" part that holds it to the tailgate, and you still are placing the load over the tailgate....ultimately, the cables holding the tailgate up.

I could drop my mower off a tailgate lip and it survive, I don't know about a trike. The trailer applications I wouldn't worry much about, and that cable that holds the tailgate up may be capable of 5000 lbs, I don't know, just looking for ways to make it better. In a temporary ramp, I'd say that's pretty stout!

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I use these for loading/unloading snowblower and 36" WB...

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...mps-44649.html

Works like a charm even in wet conditions. when it's icy I have a few towels I used for some traction. I don't even walk on the ramps. I walk in between them when loading and unloading. Takes some getting used to but it is safe. Just make sure you park level because if they are wet whatever you are loading will slide to the side. When unloading just guide it down fast on the back tires lifting the front of the machine up. You don't need anything to hold them to the tailgate, they will stay.