Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

After this point we took down the deck ledger board and put a waterproofing membrane on from the door down the brick and yes I know it doesn't go all the way down. The brick didn't go to the ground and sat on an angle iron ledge without any weepholes. It had been there for 20 years or more. We did build a wall infront of the basement window though. I don't know for sure or have seen it proved but can there really be much water going down by the brick when the patio slopes away and the overhang and gutters keeping the water from dripping onto the patio? Anyone have seen a problem with this? I have seen houses with the brick facade buried in soil at the foundation level and have not seen deteriorating brick.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also put geogrid in my stairs construction.

Creative Hardscapes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shed Landscaping View Post
After this point we took down the deck ledger board and put a waterproofing membrane on from the door down the brick and yes I know it doesn't go all the way down. The brick didn't go to the ground and sat on an angle iron ledge without any weepholes. It had been there for 20 years or more. We did build a wall infront of the basement window though. I don't know for sure or have seen it proved but can there really be much water going down by the brick when the patio slopes away and the overhang and gutters keeping the water from dripping onto the patio? Anyone have seen a problem with this? I have seen houses with the brick facade buried in soil at the foundation level and have not seen deteriorating brick.
Its not like a flowing stream of water behind the brick but condensation and moisture buildup between the brick and wood backer board with can lead to mold and rot.