Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crichardson View Post
Vinyl graphic on rear glass of truck if possible. Door hangers. Flyers at heavy traffic restraint or gas stations (private owned), this has worked for me.
You mean like handing them out as people go into the restaurant?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
You mean like handing them out as people go into the restaurant?
Really? While you wear GV's chicken costume.

No. Hang them up. Some places have cork boards for business advertising as soon as you walk in or outside. Many places have them where I live.

48" Bobcat WB w/ 14hp Kohler
21" Troy Built
Echo 225 trimmer/edger combo
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Magnetic signs last year not one job from them.
I think the signs are one of those things like clean equipment. it adds to the overall impression of the company. that itself wont necessarily get you work. but it adds to their impression when you pull up in front of their house for a quote.

just my opinion. and an area in which im working on myslf
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
Really? While you wear GV's chicken costume.

No. Hang them up. Some places have cork boards for business advertising as soon as you walk in or outside. Many places have them where I live.
I see what you mean. around here only stores do that. ill want to go around and put up my cards are more stores than i do now.

as far as flyers go. if i recall i only got .02 percent actual customers. other people mention 1 and 2 percent. my flyer is simple. and was printed on regular paper not photo paper. perhaps my design was bad? This year ill be paying the post office to deliver them and hope I can afford to have them printed better.

Can i see some examples of a good flyer design? One thing i do want to include is pricing that when they see the flyer they already know what price they will have for basic services.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

YP.com does not produce the client base like being a part of the better business bureau, door hangers, or direct mail. I spent $3200 over the last two years and only generated about $2000 in revenue from YP.com. They are also really hard to work with. They automatically renew you. I was told by a friend, who works in marketing, that when people go to the phone book it is to look up a number for a company they already know. When people look for new contractors they go to the BBB or ask a friend for a referral.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunnersltd View Post
YP.com does not produce the client base like being a part of the better business bureau, door hangers, or direct mail. I spent $3200 over the last two years and only generated about $2000 in revenue from YP.com. They are also really hard to work with. They automatically renew you. I was told by a friend, who works in marketing, that when people go to the phone book it is to look up a number for a company they already know. When people look for new contractors they go to the BBB or ask a friend for a referral.
How does one come about becoming part of the BBB. What kidn of results do you get from it?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I think you have to pay to become a member and any company can join. It can put you in a jam if you start getting negatives remarks or hits on it. I would advise against this for you. KISS (keep it simple stupid) and stick to the basics. Flyers, craigslist, mailings, etc. Word of mouth is huge too and works both ways.

21" Troy Built
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the paper i used was good paper for being regular paper. not the thinnest. and was somewhat water resistant in case it misted.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
I think you have to pay to become a member and any company can join. It can put you in a jam if you start getting negatives remarks or hits on it. I would advise against this for you. KISS (keep it simple stupid) and stick to the basics. Flyers, craigslist, mailings, etc. Word of mouth is huge too and works both ways.
Why do you advice against it "for me"? you know nothing about my quality of service and customer service.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Why do you advice against it "for me"? you know nothing about my quality of service and customer service.
Uhh...because I said start with the basics like everybody else has. When you fully grasp the flyer concept, move on to the BBB. It had nothing to do with assuming your service was poor. Stop being so defensive and closed minded.

21" Troy Built
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer