Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Same here. My # 1 lives in a town that we have a real lot of customers in. Its 1/2 hr from me. He can do 2 more calls a day then he could if he had to return truck every night.
Yup. One guy would put more miles and spend more in gas (both for him and for me) if he had to go to the shop everyday to pick up the vehicle. He regularly works up near me, which from his house takes him 15 minutes to get to. If he drove to the shop first it would be 15 minutes there, and 25 minutes to my area - if traffic is decent. I live on the north edge of town, and we are highly clustered here and in the town that butts up from the north.

The other guy actually lives close to my shop, but I still prefer that he has the vehicle.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 0% alcohol policy, as well as GPS. Trucks must be parked in their driveway between the hours of 9:30pm and 5:00am. They get 30 miles allowance for the weekend.

PERIOD. Or your fired.

I do not think most people understand the liability issues.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
I have a 0% alcohol policy, as well as GPS. Trucks must be parked in their driveway between the hours of 9:30pm and 5:00am. They get 30 miles allowance for the weekend.

PERIOD. Or your fired.

I do not think most people understand the liability issues.
Them be employee's that don't savvy the risks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew of a plumbing company that let the guys take the truck home , and at the end of the year on their 10-40 for the IRS they calculated the round trip miles as a bonus and the employees had to pay taxes on that amount . But turn about is fair play , when 4 of the guys stopped taking trucks home they would get broken into and the company lost all of their tools and supplies .
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
I knew of a plumbing company that let the guys take the truck home , and at the end of the year on their 10-40 for the IRS they calculated the round trip miles as a bonus and the employees had to pay taxes on that amount . But turn about is fair play , when 4 of the guys stopped taking trucks home they would get broken into and the company lost all of their tools and supplies .
Calculating the round trip miles is crap. My guys are clocked in from the time they leave their house in the vehicle, until the time they get back home with the vehicle. It's company time, and it should not be a "perk" or included in their pay.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Calculating the round trip miles is crap. My guys are clocked in from the time they leave their house in the vehicle, until the time they get back home with the vehicle. It's company time, and it should not be a "perk" or included in their pay.
dana, how do your guys handle parts, in reference to stocking them on the truck vs. part store visit by job?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
dana, how do your guys handle parts, in reference to stocking them on the truck vs. part store visit by job?
My guys keep a blank service order ( service orders have all parts and they just need to write in amount) with them and write down thigs they used. Next time they see me or go to supply house , they restock.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
As much as I know I should, I don't keep inventory numbers or even enter them into Quickbooks. Maybe another time, but we just don't do it. So basically, I get a large order in the spring to fill up the trucks and also have some extras at the shop, and then we try to hit Ewing once a week to re-stock. There are the occasional times where we need to get a specific part that we normally wouldn't stock. One of my techs lives near Ewing, and me and my other guy are 20-35 minutes from there. The guy that lives near there will usually get what all of us need, and drop off at the shop once a week.

So we just either keep a written note of what is needed, or a mental note, and restock as needed.

We don't do a parts store visit per job, nor should anybody. Waste of time, fuel, and money. Load up and keep it loaded up as much as possible. Since I don't go to the shop very often in the busy parts of the year, I will keep a little stock at my house of the most used parts.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I receive take home truck privileges and have for the past 7 years. It used to be personal use included but as of last year that has been reduced to work related use only. This change was not a big deal for me. We do commercial service work so we have no set appointments each day. I find that with the truck I am more apt to work later to get something done as I dont have to waste time going back to the office to get my personal vehicle. I can tell you that the guys who dont get this privilege dont get as much work done...have to come to office each day and end up farting around before getting out on the road and then have to come back each evening. If something comes up I can catch it on the way home. Great benefit to provide your tech. Rules will be broken/stretched by some but that is to be expected.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
As much as I know I should, I don't keep inventory numbers or even enter them into Quickbooks. Maybe another time, but we just don't do it. So basically, I get a large order in the spring to fill up the trucks and also have some extras at the shop, and then we try to hit Ewing once a week to re-stock. There are the occasional times where we need to get a specific part that we normally wouldn't stock. One of my techs lives near Ewing, and me and my other guy are 20-35 minutes from there. The guy that lives near there will usually get what all of us need, and drop off at the shop once a week.

So we just either keep a written note of what is needed, or a mental note, and restock as needed.

We don't do a parts store visit per job, nor should anybody. Waste of time, fuel, and money. Load up and keep it loaded up as much as possible. Since I don't go to the shop very often in the busy parts of the year, I will keep a little stock at my house of the most used parts.
assuring to hear this.

thats basically how I seem to do it as well. I calculate my parts once a year. my bird-bucks' and gift card tell me somewhat where I am a little before that.

are you repair, or install, focused?