Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

recommended blades for 52'' stander X

wanted to ask what blades you guys recommended for this mower, picking one up tomorrow. I have a 36'' RH also and the only thing that cuts and stripes good with it is high lift blades. i love how the g6 blades leave the clippings though. already got 2 of them i don't use too. wondering what feedback you guys have heard on different blades. also any setup tips/tricks for this particular mower i'd be happy to hear them!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

The factory blades are medium lift so it is not uncommon in some areas of the country for people to switch to high lifts. Have seen all types of blades used just depends on what works the best given conditions and turf type. The G5 version of the Gators may be a better option as they are the lighter version of the G6 so they are less drain on the engine power. Always a good idea when going to a blade that will take more power to check the engine RPM's and make sure they are at the recommended level (3600 +/- 50 RPM, full throttle with no load). Some dealers will go thru our checklist before hand off to the customer but some don't so it's good to verify the mower set up. Check the tire pressures sometimes they get lowered before pick up which is okay if the pitch has been corrected. Lower pressures make for a softer ride and even better hill holding but will effect the pitch of the cutter deck with the operator on the machine. The preffered pitch is the front blade tips a 1/4" lower than the back, always check pitch with a operator on the mower. The deck has adjustment on the lift system springs to tune the balance between the ease of lifting the deck and the movement of the deck over rougher terrain, keep that in mind once you start using the mower. The footplate springs can also be adjusted if you find the footplate too stiff or too lightly sprung. The stripping kit is adjustable also depending on where in the height range you do the majority of cutting.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is the 22hp version, I already have 2 of the g6 blades for my 36''. are they the same blades? i know length is the same but it looks to me like the new deck uses an offset blade? we've got bluegrass and tall fescue around here. generally cut in the 3-4'' range, whats the best position to leave the striping kit in for that?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

To run the flat blades you will need to add 2 of the 1/4" blade spacers to each spindle on the X to make up for the loss of the offset. Flat blades definitely give you more options as far as aftermarket blades and you will be able to use the blades on both the 36" and the 52". The G6 and G5 are the same except for the material thickness, the G6 is a 1/4" thick and the G5 is a little over 3/16". The factory set of the striping rubber should be fine at the 3-4" cut height.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how do i go about changing the deck pitch on the X?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

also, am i gonna need longer bolts using the flat blades? i thought i'd just buy one more flat g6 and give them a try before i spent money on all new blades that i may not like
Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

You change the pitch by adjusting the 4 deck hanger bolts that the chains attach to, there are 2 on the cutter deck and 2 on the back sides of the engine deck. We changed to the 10" blade bolt on the X's back in 2011 at serial 56787 to accomodate the flat blade swap

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

is it a matter of just loosening or tightening the bottom bolt of the hanger assembly? or adjusting the chain at the top where it mounts? i glanced over it last night couldn't figure out exactly what to adjust
Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Loosening or tightening of the nylock nut on the bottom of the assembly, easiest with two 3/4" wrenches one to trap the top of the hanger where the bottom link of the chain attaches and the other to make the adjustment on the nut.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm gonna experiment with some different blades, still haven't had any grass to mow yet! have the g6 on there now just because i had an unused set from my 36''. just out of curiosity have you gotten any feedback on the g5 blades on a 36''? running scag 481711 extra high lift blades on it now and love the way it cuts but it has more of a tendency to clump whereas the g6 never did.