Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Snow on the ground. Still send postcards?

I have 5,000 postcards scheduled to go out tomorrow. When I set this up thurs, fri, and on looked to be in the 40's and sunny. Now snow today, thursday and rain on friday. Saturday will be sunny and 40.

Next week is cold with them calling for one day of snow.

So do I send them anyways or wait until a good stretch of warm weather?

Thanks for the help!
M
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

My 2 cents is dont send them out. Wait for a sunny day without snow. I try to avoid sending out when I know the weather is crappy.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

same boat here, 5,000 door hangers it was 60 degrees last week now they are calling for 3-5 inches tonight.....ill be waiting a while
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same boat here in Ohio. I always have my aerating and over-seeding cards mailed out by now. Last year we were mowing. I'm holding out another week or two. I don't wanna spend all that money and it be a waste. We all know when it is cold out our motivation goes downhill.
2008 Exmark 46" Laser HP W/Powerchute & Air Ride
2010 Exmark 52" Vantage
2009 Toro 52" GrandStand W/Powerchute
2010 Lawn Solutions Ride On Aerator
Stihl FS 90 Trimmers
Stihl MS 170 & MS 390 Chainsaws
Stihl HT 101 Pole Saw
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blowers
Stihl BG55 & SH86 Handheld Blowers
Stihl Yard Boss Cultivator
Honda F220 Rototiller
Echo HC150 Shrub Trimmer
Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Im waiting also. Come on Spring!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

One way you can get a general feel for whether customers in your area are searching for your services at a particular time, is to use Google Trends.

For example, I have input the following criteria:
- keyword is "lawn care" (you need to enter whatever the best search terms are for your area)
- location - U.S. > Michigan (filter down to state level using the map at the bottom)
- showing last 12 months

http://www.google.com/trends/explore...%2012-m&cmpt=q

You can see from the graph, week by week, when people are searching online.

You will notice that the current week (10-16 March 2013) is showing a steep upwards trend, which indicates people are starting to think more seriously about it.

Of course, this is showing data for the whole state of Michigan, and I'm sure there will be variations between different climatic areas in the state.

Anyway, just thought this could be another tool to help you keep an eye on customer search behaviour, so you can optimise when you send out any marketing material which is dependent on getting the timing right.

Last edited by Mayor of Mow Town; 03-13-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the location.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

By this time last year we were already doing clean-ups, mulch and planting. This year winter seems to be sticking around much longer. Got about 5 inches of snow last Friday, had a break in the weather at the beginning of this week (Mid 50's) so we put out a bunch of door hangers in neighborhoods we are already working in, hoping to pick up more accounts close together. Any way cold fronts rolling through and its been in the 30's for the last two days and supposed to continue till Monday and expecting some snow tomorrow haha, so i think were going to be waiting a bit longer to be doing anymore hangers or major advertising. Its not cheap, and with the inconsistent I want to make sure people get them when there thinking about spring, and not shoveling snow.
  • 16' open Landscape Trailer
  • 2011 Snapper Pro s150x 52" w/Fast Vac
  • 2012 Scag Belt Driven Walk-behind 48"
  • 2 Shindaiwa t242 Trimmers, 1 Echo srm230 Trimmer
  • 3 Shindaiwa eb802 Backpack Blowers
  • Little Wonder lb270s push Blower
  • Stihl ms250 and ms391 Chainsaws
  • Echo hc150 Hedge Trimmer
  • Misc. Hand Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Mow Town View Post
One way you can get a general feel for whether customers in your area are searching for your services at a particular time, is to use Google Trends.

For example, I have input the following criteria:
- keyword is "lawn care" (you need to enter whatever the best search terms are for your area)
- location - U.S. > Michigan (filter down to state level using the map at the bottom)
- showing last 12 months

http://www.google.com/trends/explore...%2012-m&cmpt=q

You can see from the graph, week by week, when people are searching online.

You will notice that the current week (10-16 March 2013) is showing a steep upwards trend, which indicates people are starting to think more seriously about it.

Of course, this is showing data for the whole state of Michigan, and I'm sure there will be variations between different climatic areas in the state.

Anyway, just thought this could be another tool to help you keep an eye on customer search behaviour, so you can optimise when you send out any marketing material which is dependent on getting the timing right.
Mayor, that is brilliant! Makes me feel a litter better. My printer "accidentally" sent my postcards out yesterday. Thanks for the great tip.

M
Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the same issue. In my second year and I am giving eddm a try I have 6000 flyer ready to go, and have had them for several weeks. Unfortunately, the weather in Western PA is not cooperating. It is not expected to get out of the 30's for the next week. Birds are singing, but temps are low. I don't want to send out too early and waste money, but I don't want to be late to the advertising party. Any suggestions?

Last edited by thedreamingtreelawnscapes; 03-17-2013 at 01:34 PM.