Register free!

Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Z-spray regulator ?

We run 2 Z-sprays. On one of them I can set the regulator to my desired psi and other than the occasional "tweek" it stays pretty constant through the day.

The other one I can set and may have to reset 2 to 3 times per lawn and depending on how many bumps I hit the pressure can vary greatly on the dial.

It's beginning to get freaking irritating...

My question is

Is there some type of adjustment I'm not aware of that might make the pressure remain more constant...perhaps a screw that needs tightening or something?

or

Do I just need to order a new regulator from LT Rich?

Any shared knowledge others have would be appreciated.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 03-15-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Very interesting. Mine started out fine but towards the end of this current round I'm having the same problem. My pressure Guage will fluctuate a little and I need to adjust with the grey throttle valve on the side.

The cause of mine may be running wg prodiamine through it. I'm sure there is some build up in the filters/lines/etc.

could be that I have some air getting in but I'm not sure. I can't figure out how to take the hoses off with the new clamps. My old one had screw clamps and I could take hoses on and off to look for clogs or air.

If you find the solution please let me know.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Z-spray regulator ?

Try running straight water thru it and if you still get the fluctuations you might be grabbing air from someplace. Checked screen I'm assuming that was clean? All connectios snug and o-rings good? Let us know if you find the issue. Agree with the hose clamps I would prefer screw down hose clamps to crimped and will replace if I have to get into those lines.

John
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those crimp-on clamps are difficult. Use a hack saw, cut diagonal, and replace with screw clamps.
Wilson makes a good point...if there is a particle caught in the valve seat...it may not seal well.
Open it up to very low pressure and run solution throught it--flushing out residue; reset to proper pressure.
Make sure filter is working. Perhaps particles are going around the screen.
Make sure it is the regulator and not the pump itself.
If no other cause, replace the regulator with a new one--or a generic if you are a wee bit cheap

And...the pressure gauge itself might be partially plugged up with particles of something. Take a careful look at the output--is it really running at different pressures? If needed, switch gauges.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-15-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

About once per week I rinse mine completely out then run ammonia through it and let it sit over night with the solution in all the hoses. Check the seal on your primary filter. I was having similar problems and I was pulling a little air there.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

there's a definite difference in output and come to think of it, it seemed there was a couple of times I heard gurgling maybe. I did just clean the strainer and the pump is 4 yrs old but still runs like a champ . Lots of things to look at...

This is my 2009 model that's giving me problems. It has screw clamps from the factory.

My 2011 has the Oteker clamps y'all are talking about. Nice clean looking installation for the guys who build them but kind of a pain for the guy who uses the machine... that most likely doesn't have the Oteker tool/clamps kit when it's needed.

There's another one out there you run into sometimes called Band-it. It uses a special tool and clamps too. It can be just as frustrating as the Oteker.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the ideas and I will look things over closely.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Ted

Just give that old woreout thing to me and get you a new one lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know if I'd want to do that...

You probably still want to get me back for selling you my Ultra.

You know what I look like and you've been to my house.

Just kidding Bill. You know I'd help you any way I could.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

also, dont forget the screens at the nozzles. those clog up and if not checked, also cause the same pressure consistency issues.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I don't know if I'd want to do that...

You probably still want to get me back for selling you my Ultra.

You know what I look like and you've been to my house.

Just kidding Bill. You know I'd help you any way I could.
Hey, that old worn out PG is not so worn out any more. I just picked it up Sat morning from having the engine rebuilt and that thing is purring like a kitten.

I keep thinking I will get a Z Spray but man that PG is nice for the smaller lawns. My back still thanks you every time I push a spreader LOL