Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 AM
ricky86 ricky86 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monmouth Cty N.J.
Posts: 1,219
There's a brown wire that comes from the key switch. It goes to the start relay. The start relay must be activated or the pump won't work.(It completes the ground on the coil side of the relay). The brown wire goes to the circut side of the start relay. When activated, the relay switchs voltage to the blue wire, which in turn goes to the starter sol, which activates it. Trace those wires(brown and blue) from the switch to the POST on the sol. Key switch has to be in the start position. If you have voltage to the start relay's brown wire and not to the blue, and the terminals are intact, good chance it's the relay. Don't match the relay. They look the same but some have a different amp rating. All the info is on the relay. You have to check one circut at a time, and perform a voltage drop test on each. That's the best way to check for dirty , corroded connections. Or would you like to continue the Toro bashing with a dealer that's trying to help you?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:44 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,896
I was unaware i was toro bashing. i did mention in 2 posts that i like scag. i never once said anything negative about toro. i really do love my mower. once working well itl make a world of difference in my business. it cannot compare to the exmark/toro i rented last year. brand new. felt like i had a jet engine on teh back of that thing.

bigger handles too. i found that quite comfortable.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 AM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
There's a brown wire that comes from the key switch. It goes to the start relay. The start relay must be activated or the pump won't work.(It completes the ground on the coil side of the relay). The brown wire goes to the circut side of the start relay. When activated, the relay switchs voltage to the blue wire, which in turn goes to the starter sol, which activates it. Trace those wires(brown and blue) from the switch to the POST on the sol. Key switch has to be in the start position. If you have voltage to the start relay's brown wire and not to the blue, and the terminals are intact, good chance it's the relay. Don't match the relay. They look the same but some have a different amp rating. All the info is on the relay. You have to check one circut at a time, and perform a voltage drop test on each. That's the best way to check for dirty , corroded connections. Or would you like to continue the Toro bashing with a dealer that's trying to help you?
You're right again...Ricky..
Matching up a relay is a recipe for mistakes...
You have to know what you are matching up..
Personally...I have never seen a grass cutter ....that didn't know how to read and understand a wiring schematic...ever successfully troubleshoot a Kohler EFI..
The engine wasn't designed to be worked on by the end user..
__________________
If You Have All The Answers...Except The One You Need...You're Not Trying Hard Enough...
Do The Work
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,896
when it comes to the relays I'll just put voltage to it and measure the continuity.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:37 PM
ricky86 ricky86 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monmouth Cty N.J.
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I was unaware i was toro bashing. i did mention in 2 posts that i like scag. i never once said anything negative about toro. i really do love my mower. once working well itl make a world of difference in my business. it cannot compare to the exmark/toro i rented last year. brand new. felt like i had a jet engine on teh back of that thing.

bigger handles too. i found that quite comfortable.
Sorry, didn't mean to jump on you. No you didn't say anything.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 PM
fatboynormmie's Avatar
fatboynormmie fatboynormmie is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: balto md
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
when it comes to the relays I'll just put voltage to it and measure the continuity.
Never trust continuity always trust voltage drop.(Example)You could have a battery cable that has 100 strands of copper in it and if all the strands were cut except one you would read continuity and think you are ok.WRONG!!!! Try to actually push amperage through it and it won't happen.

Terminal 86 and 87 on an automotive relay are the coil circuit (small wires small amps) = control side

Terminal 87/87a (one normally open / normally closed) and terminal 30 = common .This is the power or contactor side of the relay .(heavy wires heavy amps).So one of the heavy wires will be attached to either 87 or 87a and the other will be attached to 30

You can pull the relay out and put your meter across the female plugs 85 and 86 in connector and turn key or start to check your getting +bv .

Also you can jump 87/87a and 30 while the relay is out with a heavy jumper to turn on circuit this will check that supply wiring is ok.

Sounds like Ricky is leading you on the right track good luck keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Wright Lawn Wright Lawn is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 46
Ricky, I was the guy bashing Toro. 800 hrs. on my unit, 3 hydro pomps, 5 (yes five) ignition switches, 3 drive belts, coils had to be replaced twice, fuel gauge has NEVER worked & it's been replaced 3 times. Throttle cable broke after 500 hrs., choke cable broke right after that. My trailer and equipment are garage/barn kept, so the only time they're in the elements is when I'm using them. Yea, it's all been covered under warranty but, my down time in just two years is somewhere around 12 - 16 weeks. I'm solo and take very good care of everything I have. Toro is not commercial grade, I don't care what anybody says!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:43 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,896
I didnt do anythign. my car broke and i caint fix it till im willing to take off the condensor. who the heck puts a coil pack behidn the engine where its impossible to get to?

i swear im leaving gm. might as well. no point in buying chevi when they are built out of the country anyway
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-17-2013, 03:26 AM
ricky86 ricky86 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monmouth Cty N.J.
Posts: 1,219
I had a S-10 with what I think had a lifter problem. One look at the service manual, it got traded on a nice new shiney Hyundai Touring. I'm happy as a pig in s**t.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,896
test 1:
negative meter wire on negative of battery.

positive meter wire on the connector going INTO the relay (brown wire traced from switch to a relay) which would be the part of the circuit BEFORE the relay.

i get 12.3V

test2:
negative meter wire on the negative of the battery

positive meter wire on the blue wire connector from the relay which would after the relay.

the result is 0.03 mostly. got 0.15 once.


oh, and the relay is a ford. go figure.

this would mean not much of a voltage drop with the relay? relay being good?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.07649 seconds with 9 queries