Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a Dixie RunBehind for five years now. I use it for small yards and as a trim mower on larger accounts. For me it leaves a nicer cut than my 60 in. Dixie. The 27 hp Generac engine seldom lacks for power with the 50 in. deck. It's easy to steer and does a good job for me. I have had no engine problems.

The mounting for the stand on platform can be a problem if you get a rear tire in a hole. It will drag on the ground which can get you hung up. This machine weighs 1000 lbs so isn't that easy to push around. I usually keep a tow rope and another mower handy. For me this has happened around five times a year.

I have 815 hrs. on my RunBehind. Late last fall I put two new hydraulic wheel motors on---both left puddles of oil on my garage floor within a weeks time from leaking seals. My Dixie mechanic said that this is not uncommon at 800 hrs. on the RunBehind.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2012, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weve View Post

The mounting for the stand on platform can be a problem if you get a rear tire in a hole. It will drag on the ground which can get you hung up. This machine weighs 1000 lbs so isn't that easy to push around. I usually keep a tow rope and another mower handy. For me this has happened around five times a year.
I've already got plans on either modifying the platform or installing a Jungle Jim sulky on it.

I salvaged the front end of the silver eagle I burned up a couple of years ago and would like to modify the platform so it has two casters to fall in-line with wheels on the machine.

The one wheel caster was always a problem with Grasshopper mowers and the same issues arise with one caster on the platform of the Run-Behind.

Great pics BTW!

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd buy a stander over any kind of 'walk' behind. I'm only 33 and already figured out I'm too darn old to do that much walking anymore. I really like the looks of the ferris evolutions. I'm also seriously thinking about dropping any yards I can't get my 60 riders on this year. Work smarter, not harder, right?

Also, I tried a 36 t-bar toro for a year, nice mower, but I tore just as much turf with that as I do with the riders. Unless I'm in a huge hurry, or the ground is just saturated, the riders aren't bad on the turf at all.

Just my.02
Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I made a great decision.

The Run-Behind is awesome as I had remembered. It's really boosted my production mowing wise and I love the versatility in being able to drop the platform and stand on it along with putting it up and walking when doing smaller places.

The 27 horse generac is way over-powered for the machine so knocking down 12" tall lawns is a piece of cake.

The tire size and weight is great too as I don't get any rutting on lawns.

Too bad Dixie quit making it. I hope they come out with something fairly similar someday.

On the flip-side I can see why it wasn't popular as the stander revolution was hitting about the time it came out and left, and there are a few minor flaws that couldn't be fixed with it's current setup and a completely re-designed machine would be the only answer.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

143 hours on mine 7 years old. Has not been used commercially but has always been used on slopes. Normal maintenance and its still performing well.

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not"
Old 03-16-2013, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope it's still performing well. The engine isn't even broken in yet. That mower should go to 4,000 hours and many go past 5,000.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why do they make their stuff so Dang ugly. With that said it looks heavy and clumsy. Reminds a bit of a vantage or a grandstand the way the platform flips up, only uglier. That platform looks long. Might as well be mowing with a garden tractor with a snow blower out front and a cyclone rake on the back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad you like your run-behind, I am looking to find one as well. So if anyone know of a decent Dixie Chopper Run-behind let me know.

To answer the age old question "Why do they make it is ugly?" It was made to work, efficiency and easy to repair and service. Every thing has it place with no extra frills. No un necessary fancy cover that just drives up the cost. But this machines was not cheap. The money they saved with no-fancy covers, special contoured gas tanks that just get in the way when serviced is money spent on better quality parts.

Witch in the end means you have more mower for your money.

OR you can spend large amount of time and material to dress up a average or good mower and sell it for the same money. It your choice.. Sorry If I offend anyone but the facts back up my opinion.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know this is a long shot, but have you checked to see if the factory has any in storage? At one time, they had dozens, if not over a hundred, in crates, stored unsold, at the factory. Of course, by now, they may have stripped off the useable parts and sold everything else for scrap. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
Glad you like your run-behind, I am looking to find one as well. So if anyone know of a decent Dixie Chopper Run-behind let me know.

To answer the age old question "Why do they make it is ugly?" It was made to work, efficiency and easy to repair and service. Every thing has it place with no extra frills. No un necessary fancy cover that just drives up the cost. But this machines was not cheap. The money they saved with no-fancy covers, special contoured gas tanks that just get in the way when serviced is money spent on better quality parts.

Witch in the end means you have more mower for your money.

OR you can spend large amount of time and material to dress up a average or good mower and sell it for the same money. It your choice.. Sorry If I offend anyone but the facts back up my opinion.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

From my research and some hear-say. When Art did the shake up over the gray deck issues, Arts son was give all the right and futures with the Run-behinds as it had been fazed out anyway, and asked to leave the day to day operation (in short he was fired). I think he is still involved in DC some who now. There was a time that my dealer offered me any remaining inventory at near cost. Then later I was told what was left in the wear house was what the son took to Indianapolis and teamed up with a guy building motorcycles with a v8 motor. But I cant find anything on them either.