Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

How toxic is the water/ethanol waste mix and how do you dispose of it? I am going to try your process, just looking for a little more guidance.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so what you are saying is that ethonal causes engine damage?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balms View Post
How toxic is the water/ethanol waste mix and how do you dispose of it? I am going to try your process, just looking for a little more guidance.
This is one shortcoming of this technique. We're on uncharted ground here. I've been reducing the amount of water used in the interest of conservation. You only need 3-4 teaspoons of water /gallon. So far, my auto parts store has accepted the mix along with my recycled antifreeze. They must think I have a real antifreeze fetish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
so what you are saying is that ethonal causes engine damage?
Yes and no.

In great enough concentration (over 10%) it can and does damage engines. It's more a combination of things that have to occur before it causes damage. The list of things is long, and probably uncertain as of yet. Storage practices and containers play a role. As does temperature swings, vented vs sealed containers. Additives also play a role.

Perhaps the best way to sum it up is: there are an enormous number of variables and factors. Ethanol has no benefit to me to run it, and eliminating it reduces my exposure to small engine maladies.

Yet another anecdotal bit: when gas stations went from straight gas to ethanol blended, the ethanol dissolves all the crud deposited in the stations tanks from years of old gas. That dissolved crud is likely the source of much of our trouble. Some stations had a lot of trouble when switching over.

If you try the process outlined, and see for yourself the crud that comes out of some batches of fuel, you'll wonder how engines burned it. Some batches look clean, others look like pond scum.

I'm not surprised at the reactions around here. The earth isnt flat either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so really what would be praticle is to use this method as a test for where you get fuel and only but from stations/companies with clean fuel?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, but from my experience, even different batches of gas from the same station react differently.

The trouble with ethanol is its instability. They can't (or don't) blend it at the refining stage. The ethanol is actually added to the tanker truck at the time it's shipped. I suspect this is why some batches have more, some less. Pathetically inconsistent.

Another fella using this process is trying a different avenue. He's using antifreeze mix 50/50 as the "water". Then after the seperation, he uses the "waste" as antifreeze. Haven tried his idea, the murky pond scum of some batches has me scared. I will be following his results to see how that works out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

but newer engines are designed to work with ethanol?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Marine Stabil and seafoam. I put a little bit of stabil every time I fill my cans up. I fog EVERYTHING at the end of the season and run some seafoam through everything when I shake all the dust off in the spring.
36" Bobcat
46" JRCO Thatcher
JRCO Aerator
Echo handhelds
Red Max Backpack
Sthil saws
Old 03-16-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

fog? what is "fog"
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

"Fog" or "Fogging" an engine is when you use this stuff called "fogging fluid", no joke, that's what its called. Its also marketed as "engine storing fluid", etc.. Its a light weight oil that you spray down your carb and your cylinder walls that protects your engine for long term storage. We've been using it for years in everything from or boats to the '65 mustang. Your engine is going to smoke like a mother when you first start it up but it will always start up.
36" Bobcat
46" JRCO Thatcher
JRCO Aerator
Echo handhelds
Red Max Backpack
Sthil saws