Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Walker VS. Grasshopper

Hello everyone, I am currently running all Toro mowers, 1 z-turn with bagger and 2 stand ups. My Toro is getting older and have noticed the Walker with the dump and also Grasshopper mowers. I do snow removal and am also looking for a nice sidewalk machine. I was thinking I could kill 2 rabbits with one mower on my next purchase. Anyone have thoughts on the Walker vs. Grasshopper as far as performance, attachments ? This would be my fall cleanup machine also. Thanks in advance guys, Im new on the site and love it so far !!!! Think Snow !!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmmm, Nobody responded. I'm in Walker country and i'm the odd man out running a Grasshopper. Many reasons for this but i'll nail down a few:

#1. Speed. My hopper will beat the pants off a walker for speed. It's only 14" longer than a comparable walker which comparing would be a Super Bee.

#2, Biggest bagger walker makes is a 54. I run a 61 and my dad runs 2 -72s Blower can be removed in less than a minute for side discharge and the entire bagging system can be removed in less than 5 minutes.

#3, Maintenance. I don't have to pull my engine from the grasshopper to clean the chaff out of it every season. Just blow it out once a week. Belts are easy to access, total of 5 grease fittings.

#4, Running a Walker, your feet ride the deck. Every time your deck goes over a bump, your feet do as well. To me this is uncomfortable. The hopper has a dedicated foot platform that is isolated from the vibrations and the movement of the deck.

#5, For accessories again, With Grasshopper it's 2-3 minutes to change out from mower to aera-vator, blower, broom, snowblower ect. Walker you have to mount an implement hitch which your feet also ride on and then mount your attachments. As an old farm boy i find the grasshopper quick tach accessories to be faster and easier.

#6, As an old farm boy and ex heavy equipment operator i find the controls goofy. I want to push forward on my controls to go forward. With Walker you push forward on your speed control to go forward and pull back to turn. Just seems odd.

All in all, Walker and grasshopper make a nice mower both with great cut quality. I just prefer Grasshopper for what i do as most of my accounts are 1/2 acre and up.....
2009 Encore FZ48 Front Mount Side Discharge & bagger.
3 Ariens LM21 Commercial walk behinds.
Echo SRM28 trimmers.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Grasshopper all the way, know to many guys woth serious maintenance issues on the walkers. Awesome cut, but the gh attachments, snowblower, etc work great. Search youtube for snow thrower accessaries. Gh is much heavier duty cab and heat would be nice option for you too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try out both mowers before you buy one and see which you like better. Dealers around here have arranged that for me in the past.
What are these "maintenance issues" I keep hearing about? I've been using walkers as my primary mowers since 1988. Only had 2 events where it broke in the field. Good news is the interlocks only work in forward so in a pinch you can drive them backwards into the trailer using the starter.
I have ford cm222. With that machine you feet are on a platform and don't move. I prefer the little movements in having my feet on the deck. My legs never get stiff or restless.
Walkers are great for fall clean ups. I blow all the leaves onto the lawn, raise only the front of the deck and vacuum them up. It also gives me a chance to sit down for awhile. You can suck the leaves off pavement too, it just takes 2 or 3 passes to get the shredded bits picked up.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
What are these "maintenance issues" I keep hearing about? I've been using walkers as my primary mowers since 1988.
He is a Grasshopper dealer...take it with a grain of salt for what its worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I read on the net about mowers all year, everyone says that that recommends that thats where it comes from. I have sold a couple of walkers too here i have 2 guys that run them in my area. They only use them for the banks and use the other mowers for yards. They say they more "fragile". When i started my lawncare biz my first lawnmower i ever purchased was a grasshopper diesel because everyone around here used them. They are truly the best attachment mower out, the 25b catcher holds a freaking huge amoujt of grass. My advice i give is from experience and knowledge has nothing to with being a dealer. So what advice i give is gonna help me sell more mowers or something? Thats crazy...... and if i am a dealer for something there is probably a reason or experience why i did... i would like to meet a few of you guys rhat constantly belittle me on some of these sites... i went from mowing yards to selling mowers out of my house, to being one of the largest volume mower dealers in the world in 5 years i think i deserve more credit than you guys banter about me about....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

And many of us have impressive backgrounds as well. Its a conflict of interest for a dealer to talk about thier own brands. All dealers say the brands they sell are best. My personal experiences have given me a great advantage grading equipment and structures of all kinds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hell i talk about gravely and bobcat too, but i dont sell them.... i even recommend zipper as a front mount but dont sell them, anything i say is from years of knowpedge and research and because i enjoy talking mowers not to benefit me any personally...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see walker as a good mower for specific bagging situations and gh is the best all around mower from mowing to spraying. Also the power fold option makes it one of the shortest mowers on the trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fragile? Two years ago I sold an '88 and a '92. Last I heard the 92 was still being used commercially. New owner put a short block in it (Kohler 16). These mowers survived an employee we dubbed "cowboy carl" on his first day because of all the stuff he hit. He's a great guy, but I finally had to let him go. I thought he would be a better operator with practice.
I still use a 3 blade 54 inch deck daily in the mowing season. It still has the original gearboxes and shafts, bearings & seals have been replaced. Deck has been out of production for years. I think I bought it in '90, 23 years ago.