Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
hmmm first post you have a john deere pic, you wish for a scag wildcat, yet you say exmark is the best???

:d ancing:
I caught the Scag/Exmark thing, but missed the Deere
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea its my friends Deere 737. I like Deere but I Have a Exmark Metro. Ive demoed a lazerz but don't have the money. And over Exmark I love Scag but the Cut does not compare where i live, Exmark is better here.
Old 7x14 open equipment trailer
5x8 Texas trailers utility trailer (soon to have racks!)
Echo srm 225 Trimmer
Echo pas w/edger att.
Echo pb500h
A tube of grease and some gas!
Still wishin for that Scag Wildcat!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

exmark is only good in nearly perfect conditions. the john deere and scag are good in all conditions.

if all you cut are weekly yards where the grass is perfect and not wet then an exmark would be great for you.

if you cut all sorts of grasses, weeds, weekly, bi weekly, cleanups, wet, or even in perfect conditions then a deere or a scag will be best for you.

Last edited by weeze; 02-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I realize that. Its great for the small backyards and some front yards I do, but when it comes to mowing my one commercial account that has empty weeded lots there is stragglers, thankfully my friend brings his 737 with him, Though my next choice if i get rougher yards is either a Scag or maybe a Deer.
Old 7x14 open equipment trailer
5x8 Texas trailers utility trailer (soon to have racks!)
Echo srm 225 Trimmer
Echo pas w/edger att.
Echo pb500h
A tube of grease and some gas!
Still wishin for that Scag Wildcat!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I finally tried out a z950r deere, there's not really a lot of grass to cut right now but from what little I did I really liked it, you barely have to move the levers to go and it's really smooth operating, plenty fast enough, only thing I found that the hustler would do better is set on a hill, I think the super z weighs a little bit more so that could be the difference. I love the comfort and convience package, especially the hydraulic deck lift. I definitely want one but here's the dilema now, 950r vs 960r? Or 27hp vs 31hp? Like I said there's not much grass for me to cut right now and what is there is nothing like the thick, fertilized and wet grass that I'll be cutting on out in may, the 27 seems like it will have plenty of power but Im thinking why not go on and get the 31, the only thing that scares me is how much worse is the 31 going to be on fuel? Does anyone know where I could find fuel consumption stats on these different engines? You would think JD would have these #'s out there but I havnt seen them. Thanks again guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have run both engines in Z900 Deere's and there's little difference in performance in the real world. If all you cut is super thick, over watered, over fertilized lawns or fields, then you will want the little extra from the 960.

If you found that the SZ held a hill better, I'm betting the pressure in the rear tires on the Z950 wasn't set correctly. They hold a hill as good as anything in the same class/design. I am not sure if the new R series has the cast iron rear bumper that mine does though. It doesn't look like it on their site. It looks to be just a heavy gauge steel bumper. That cast iron bumper makes a world of difference.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure on the bumper it almost looks like a weight, i didnt push it to hard because it felt pretty light in the front end and i was still getting use to it. I'm going to keep my new mower off of hills and ditches all I can anyways to keep from putting so much wear on it. And yea the tire pressure was way off the back had over 20lbs in them, I let them down to 12lbs it's rides a lot better but it's still a little rough, I'm assuming the flat free front tires may be part of the problem. I also noticed that the wheel base is pretty narrow, is there any down side to this? I measured one of our 60" dixie choppers and it's about 10"s wider.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Dixie's are almost freakishly wide. That isn't necessary for very many situations, and is a drawback in many others. Mine looks narrow to me sometimes compared to some other brands, but when I measure them, they are pretty close. I think it has to do with the design of the rear of the machine as far as looking narrower than another one might.

As far as hills go, I take mine anywhere that it is safe for a Z to go with no problems yet. The run flats do make the ride rougher than pneumatics do, but then you don't have to worry about flats either. I guess it's a bit of a trade off.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl8806 View Post
Well I finally tried out a z950r deere, there's not really a lot of grass to cut right now but from what little I did I really liked it, you barely have to move the levers to go and it's really smooth operating, plenty fast enough, only thing I found that the hustler would do better is set on a hill, I think the super z weighs a little bit more so that could be the difference. I love the comfort and convience package, especially the hydraulic deck lift. I definitely want one but here's the dilema now, 950r vs 960r? Or 27hp vs 31hp? Like I said there's not much grass for me to cut right now and what is there is nothing like the thick, fertilized and wet grass that I'll be cutting on out in may, the 27 seems like it will have plenty of power but Im thinking why not go on and get the 31, the only thing that scares me is how much worse is the 31 going to be on fuel? Does anyone know where I could find fuel consumption stats on these different engines? You would think JD would have these #'s out there but I havnt seen them. Thanks again guys
Posted via Mobile Device
I've got the 31hp Kaw on my Gravely 460 (60") and I never have lacked power. They are thirsty though. I'm averaging about 2gph. This may differ some from mower to mower. I'm not sure if the SZ's lager pumps would demand more from the engine than the more common size pumps used, less, or the same? I can't imagine they would pull any less power.

I had a 24hp Honda on my 60" SZ which was a nice match but liked coils. I don't recall gph but I'm guessing it was close to 1-1.5 gph. My 66" SZ is running a Kohler 28hp EFI (both old hp ratings) and it's ok for just cutting grass. If you want to run a bagger and/or thatch rake too it's under powered. Hit a good size hill and be ready for a little testing of you patients. Up side is I'm getting about 1.2 gph on it.

Biggest downfall I've read/heard about on the JD is the ride quality. Other than that and possible parts cost I've heard mostly good.

I do like the clean, simple, heavy build of the Hustler. I've made mine do things no mower should have to and they're still kicking.

Last edited by mtmower; 03-20-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Edit for the above post.

Using my 460 with the 920v I'v been cutting here already and I'm starting short at the 2" mark. First off I'll say this is not my norm. We've had more thatch here than normal due to a mild winter I guess. I cut a golf course property that the owner decided against having dethatched this spring and it has a slight grade to it. Even though I took my properties back to about 2.25" this fall they grew from late fall to early winter here by about an 1" to 1.5" on the average. The combination of the deck being this low (dragging ant-iscalp wheels and possibly the nose of the deck in the grass), the slight incline, and the thatch and grass combination it really pulled the engine rpms down like I never thought it would. Other than using too much fuel even when cutting in normal conditions I am glad I did not go with a smaller engine. And I haven't even installed the bagger yet to see how much it will pull from it. The more hp the merrier IMO. I'd love to try the new BB Kohler EFI and see how it does in gph and hp.

Regarding my previous statement on JD I'm in the market for another mower and have been looking at the 960r and found they now offer flex forks along with a suspension seat so they finally stepped up their ride. Trying to set up a 960r and Super Z HD demo in next week or so. May also be looking at Cheetah and Exmark X RED.