Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I asked above, but it would really help if you would fill us in on your ranking decline. Is this the same site you've been using, or is this a new one? Was the drop in rank after you switched over to this site/template, or before, or...?

As another bit of advice, if you haven't done so, I would strongly recommend reading through previous site review requests. Many of the issues your site has are covered in just about every review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlriv View Post
I will have to look at your comments more in depth tomorrow, but for now... I dont know what your talking about for much of your first post. H1, H2, off screen??? I just filled in info on a wordpress theme, and I dont know exactly where all the tags go. I did find it odd that the wordpress theme had 2 title, 2 tag, and 2 keyword lines to fill out.
In searching the web, I see that your theme is responsible for this. For a theme to use this as a standard piece is a huge red flag, especially if their documentation is not clear about it. It looks like it's probably triggered by something in your admin, so that if you are not using a header image, it will show your text instead. If you use a header, it shoves it 2000px to the left. The problem is that it defaults to an off-page mode that is a huge negative in Google's book. (I don't have time to fully dig into that one, so if anyone else feels so inclined, I'd be curious if you take away the same thoughts I have.)

The simplest way to explain the "H1, H2, off screen" thing is that you have content on your site that...isn't really on your site, at least visually. If you set the CSS of something to a negative margin, like margin-left:-2000px;, this will shove the text off screen. Take your left hand and hold it out in the air to the left of your monitor. That's where your info is. It's there specifically for the search engines, albeit Google doesn't like to see it. It's similar to another tactic that involved white text on white backgrounds, or hiding content by turning off the visibility.

Quote:
The individual town pages will be geared a little more toward each town eventually, but I think they will still be similar. I was thinking about removing the keyword links for each town and just having the pages, but not listed on the homepage if thats an option.
At this point, I would just work the other towns into your content and then add the pages when they are ready. As of now, they're really just detracting from what you're trying to do.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I knew I was going to forget something (its late) thats why I will look at it more tomorrow.... before I made all the changes I did not show up anywhere. After the changes I showed up on page 1 in town, pages 3/4 for several other towns. Now it looks like page 2 in town, and 5,6,7 in other towns... still better than before but I dont want to end up on the "last" page either.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Same site same theme for 1 year but before I had generic or no tags.... Maybe I will contact the theme designer and see if he can help clean it up, or maybe I need to look into a SEO company to hire.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlriv View Post
Same site same theme for 1 year but before I had generic or no tags.... Maybe I will contact the theme designer and see if he can help clean it up, or maybe I need to look into a SEO company to hire.
Thanks. I would look in your WP theme's admin and see if you can turn it off. It's a standard function of the theme, so I don't think you'll see them do much for you. (If you wouldn't mind, shoot me a pm with a link to the theme designer's site. I want to be sure we're on the same page.)

I don't think you need to hire an SEO company. You've come this far and, based on the rankings you spoke of, you're not too far off.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Just had another look at the site and I still think it is a great effort for someone with minimal WP experience. Follow tony's suggestions as they'll help you out in the long run.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I think I have fixed some of the problems mentioned... I had 2 SEO plugins running so I disabled one, and hopefully that did something for duplicate tags. The text that was offscreen was put there because the header is a custom graphic and that is how the theme delt with the company name, just pushed it off to the side. I set that back to display, but left it blank, and put my company name etc into a footer. I dont know if that will be searched as much as if it was a header?? I wonder if I can move the header to display down at the bottom of the page instead of off to the side?

I also cleaned up caps, tried format the town links to be sentence form (not sure if google will care), added a facebook/google+ plugin...

Now I need to work on image tags, titles, and optimize, and then work on text content.

I think I'm getting somewhere.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I have done almost all I can do without further advise, or new writing skills.... I will have google fetch again soon But my head is spinning.

Hopefully my site will climb

Thanks for the help! Oh, and if anyone sees anything else wrong please let me know, but for now I need
Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, my results seem to be good.... I show up on pages 1-3 in many towns I want to except for one major problem... My homepage ( www.landmarkmnc.com ) climbed to #3 in Littleton (my hometown) for the search "landscaping littleton ma" where it sat for several weeks. I was having issues with my google places/maps listing not showing up. I set a message to google, played with a few things, and overnight went to the A listing on maps, but my homepage also dropped from # 3 to oblivion at the same time.... Any thoughts on that one? The way I set up the sub pages I have a "Littleton" page that has climbed to page 5/6 but I really would prefer to be on Page 1 in my hometown with my homepage. I also dont want to play with it too much as spring approaches and end up down in the ranks in all searches.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you verified your homepage for the G+ Local page then the two can not rank for the same keyword.

The only way to rank "local" and "organic" is to get two separate pages ranked. Does that make sense?

David Mihm recommends using your "About" page, not homepage, for G+ Local listings. You could always try that. In theory, your local listing would show and then your homepage as an organic result.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

That makes sense as to why it happened all at once.... I have changed the G+ to my contact page, but I'm not sure if that will do anything for me... I may need to delete the listing, and start all over again, but I wont do that now. I think I will try to change the page ranked on page 4 to rank higher.