Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Electrical and hydro temp question...

I have the 37 on a Super Z and am having charging issues. The wire that connects to the regulator comes loose and obviously wont charge the battery. I'll get a new connector thats fine but the regulator has become discoloured where the charge wire is. Is that normal? A mechanic told me it shouldnt be like that. I put a Volt meter on it and the regulator was up at 25+/- V.

While messing with the wire and recharging the battery after it went flat while mowing, I put my hand on the hydro oil tank and it was very hot. I could leave my hand on it but it was kinda like holding a hot cut of coffee to give you an idea. The hydro cooler fan is working and is cleaned off and out every day before use and blown off between jobs. Should the oil reservoir get that hot?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Sponsor

Mick,
I believe you were reading AC and not DC when you took the volt reading. The Regulator does get warm but also keep in mind where its mounted and the fact you are in the middle of the summer down under. Kawasaki did have some charging issues with that engine and I would get it looked at.

When you compress liquid you create heat, and that is just what your pumps are doing in order to propel you forward. Do you have the new Hyper Drive system of the older model with the 21cc hydro gear pumps? The old hydro gear system uses two cooling radiators stacked on top of each other. You must split these two at least once a year and clean. Dirt builds up between the two halves and will not allow air to pass through
for cooling. The new Hyper Drive system uses one larger radiator and allows far more oil through it for cooling with the hot oil shuttle.

Hope this helps,
Brian O
Old 03-17-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for getting back to me.
To be honest, I wasnt sure where to take the reading off the regulator but using the same setting on the meter reads the battery ok but yeah, Im not sure how to take that reading. It would of been DC.

What I am sure of though is that connector get super hot, way past warm. Burnt my finger on it yesterday making sure it was on tight. The connector comes loose and therefore wont charge the battery.
Im betting the heat is causing the discolouration. How the sheath on the wire hasnt melted I dont know!

My machine numbers are
929935ex
Could you see if my machine was in the batch of problem Kawi's please?

I have the hyper drive system and understand it gets hot, I just never realised it got that hot! Maybe I never felt it before so just a learning experience. The hydros feel fine so maybe nothing to worry about.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
Mick,
I believe you were reading AC and not DC when you took the volt reading. The Regulator does get warm but also keep in mind where its mounted and the fact you are in the middle of the summer down under. Kawasaki did have some charging issues with that engine and I would get it looked at.

When you compress liquid you create heat, and that is just what your pumps are doing in order to propel you forward. Do you have the new Hyper Drive system of the older model with the 21cc hydro gear pumps? The old hydro gear system uses two cooling radiators stacked on top of each other. You must split these two at least once a year and clean. Dirt builds up between the two halves and will not allow air to pass through
for cooling. The new Hyper Drive system uses one larger radiator and allows far more oil through it for cooling with the hot oil shuttle.

Hope this helps,
Brian O
He has the new HyperDrive system...
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Sponsor

Keep in mind resistance in an electrical system will give you heat. Be sure your connection is solid. no wiggle room. Must also be clean. Let's open the room up for comments on the charging system.The issues I had were not of your vintage, but that's not to say you don't have issues.
You should also feel the heat transfer with the breeze from the cooling fan on the rear foil.

Brian O