Go Back   LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Found an older "New" Super Z/XR7, is this motor too small?

So I am shopping for my first ZTR mower. I just bought 10 acres, about 9 of it clear and mostly flat with one slow climbing hill, very few trees in the clearing.

I found a dealer with a Super Z 60 inch XR7 deck powered by the 24hp Honda. Price is good, but I am worried this is not enough engine for this mower and I'll be regretting the purchase for the next 5 years.

To be fair, I am sure that my land will not be difficult to mower assuming that I can get to it every week. But after shelling out thousands, I dont want to be double cutting 9 acres!

Can you guys tell me what model year this mower is? And of course, any input on the 24hp Honda's for power and reliability would be most appreciated.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Sponsor

If you look at the serial number of the unit it will tell you the production date. the first two numbers are the year, next two are the month. Our units are like cars, it maybe built in September but it would be a 2013 model.
That Honda engine is sweet. Smooth and quite like most Honda's. When it comes to HP Honda does things different. They rate their horsepower by net not gross. It's a different rating that shows more of a true HP where it's needed. I would compare that engine with any other 27hp marketed out there.
I invite others that have used that engine to chime in.

Brian O
Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
So I am shopping for my first ZTR mower. I just bought 10 acres, about 9 of it clear and mostly flat with one slow climbing hill, very few trees in the clearing.

I found a dealer with a Super Z 60 inch XR7 deck powered by the 24hp Honda. Price is good, but I am worried this is not enough engine for this mower and I'll be regretting the purchase for the next 5 years.

To be fair, I am sure that my land will not be difficult to mower assuming that I can get to it every week. But after shelling out thousands, I dont want to be double cutting 9 acres!

Can you guys tell me what model year this mower is? And of course, any input on the 24hp Honda's for power and reliability would be most appreciated.
Best way to decide is to demo the mower on your land. Cut and horsepower are important, but if you are mowing that much grass you are going to be spending a lot of time in the seat. You want a mower that doesnt beat you up when mowing and has a good suspension seat
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
If you look at the serial number of the unit it will tell you the production date. the first two numbers are the year, next two are the month. Our units are like cars, it maybe built in September but it would be a 2013 model.
That Honda engine is sweet. Smooth and quite like most Honda's. When it comes to HP Honda does things different. They rate their horsepower by net not gross. It's a different rating that shows more of a true HP where it's needed. I would compare that engine with any other 27hp marketed out there.
I invite others that have used that engine to chime in.

Brian O
This is a correct statement...Honda rates hp on the SAE J1349 standard which measures net horsepower with the manufacturer’s production muffler and air cleaner in place. Net horsepower more closely correlates with the power the operator will experience when using a Honda engine powered product.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

My previous mower was the 60" super z with the 24 Honda. It cut everything I needed it to and never lacked power. Great set up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I have one of those, 2007, 2000hrs, engine still runs like new. I've never used one of the 27 or 30hp but I do wonder sometimes if one of them would go better through the tall juicy spring grass. Generally never lacks for power but it can be bogged down, I suppose that's true of any mower, like i say I haven't tried one of the other ones back to back.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 24 hp Honda on an early standard deck SZ and it was great other than needing a coil replaced every now and then. I sold it with about 1100 hrs. on it. Lots of low end torque. Will idle anywhere. Pretty good on fuel. If you get it and are in dusty conditions be sure to pull the engine covers once a year and blow out the cooling fins on the heads and such. Honda has some pretty small/tight clearances that like to pack with dirt and clippings.