Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got to be tough staying under 10K if you have a 5K single axel trailer and a pickup. Maybe a 3.5k with a 1/2 ton (or 1/4 ton :>)
Old 03-17-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncknaklawns View Post
Got to be tough staying under 10K if you have a 5K single axel trailer and a pickup. Maybe a 3.5k with a 1/2 ton (or 1/4 ton :>)
Thats what DOT wants. It basically allows states to keep track of the commercial traffic on their roads. Like I said, some states are more lenient than others. MI isn't bad, but I got one just to be better safe than sorry. I have a 1/2 ton and my trailer has 3K axle, doesn't put me over 10. However the minute I hook up to my 7K single axle tilt it does, or renting any equip. Basically, anyone with a 1/2 ton should get one if they plan on towing anything heavy.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Determining if you need a DOT is based solely off of your ratings, not your curb weight, because that is already factored into your rating. Truck Weight + Payload = Rating, same with Trailer Weight + Payload = Rating.

Point is, when determining if you NEED a DOT number, only look at what you are operating with Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings or Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings.
You're wrong here.

Quote:
Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...aspx?reg=390.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In NY I got one cause my 1 ton is 10700 never worried with my 3/4 ton can its GVWR was under 10K and didn't need one even with trailer when Combined was over 10K but thats NY
Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Got me there with the actual quote haha. I'm just going off of what the FMCSA told me when I got my DOT number. Chances are, if your GVW is over 10,001lbs, your rating is over 10,001lbs, otherwise you would be overloaded. Take a dump trucks for example. Truck weighs 14, rated for 19500, no matter what, based off of either rating, you need a DOT. Then you get into license plate ratings, etc.

To put it simple DOT just makes it confusing for all of us to try and make a dollar, however it thankfully keeps the jokers that make a bad name for this industry off the road.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncknaklawns View Post
In NY I got one cause my 1 ton is 10700 never worried with my 3/4 ton can its GVWR was under 10K and didn't need one even with trailer when Combined was over 10K but thats NY
Like I said it varies from state to state. Some have alterations on what you really need. I talked to the FMCSA and then the State of MI and kept getting mixed answers from the state. Well yeah you need this, but, well maybe, okay well....and so on. So I said screw it and got one lol. No skin off my back.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cody S. explained this quite well. I have a Chevy K2500 pick-up rated at 8600, if I tow a single axel 5x10 rated at 2950, I'm over 10,001 combined and by the book need a USDOT to drive around and cut 10 lawns. It sounds foolish but true. Most including myself are not in compliance w/ this.

Also the website he cut and pasted has a step by step walk through process to determine if you need a USDOT number displayed on your truck, and which state it would be a requirement in.

Only "DOT" police or law enforcent certified to enforce FMCSA Level 3-Level 1 could enforce the USDOT requirements. Most local, county, state patrol law enforcement would not even pick up on it as they could not enforce it and would most likely not even know or care about the requirement. If they did they would have to call someone that is FMCSA certified, usually a Trooper assigned to a CMV inspection unit, to conduct a "inspection". If the trailer is rated for 5000lbs or more it needs to be inspected, if used to make money, trailers over 7500lbs need to be inspected personal or business use.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Got me there with the actual quote haha. I'm just going off of what the FMCSA told me when I got my DOT number. Chances are, if your GVW is over 10,001lbs, your rating is over 10,001lbs, otherwise you would be overloaded.
Not necessarily. My ole 3fiddy is rated for 9900. It's registered for 12k. I'm not overloaded until 12,001.

Quote:
Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I've found out its best to read everything you can and sort out the mess yourself. Online a lot of info. Asking someone is prone to error and they aren't liable or have mal-practice talking insurance if they spew forth wrong data.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
If the trailer is rated for 5000lbs or more it needs to be inspected, if used to make money, trailers over 7500lbs need to be inspected personal or business use.
According to who?

Quote: