Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

took the plunge!!!

after working for real estate company for twenty years doing contract work,mostly chimney cleaning and gutter cleaning in the fall ill be doing the commercial side of the mowing.Couldnt come at a better time after getting laid off after 21 years!!! The commercial contract is for 20,000 so im pretty happy about that. Hoping my residential equipment holds up long enough till i can buy commercial since i guess this is going to be my new career,ive been wanting to for years but it was hard to walk away from a good salary and benefits. im using a toro 4235 zero turn and troy bilt backpack blower and echo trimmer. Looking forward to the new oppurtunity.Site is great been a wealth of info!!!
Between the mowing and the chimney business im really excited avbout the future
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Congrats. The only advice I can give you is diversify. Big contracts are nice but I feel they're nicer when your big and if the sh*t hits the fan and you somehow lose that contract, are either outbid, shoddy work or circumstances just change or their end you don't want to be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. When your bigger I think you can take the hit more with these accounts, just lay some people off and rally but when your solo or a two man team you can sink fast. The big account is awesome, especially to get you a float but I would work hard to make sure that is no more than 1/3 of your business. I know you can't make this happen overnight but I've been in the situation of losing big accounts and man did it suck. Scared me to death. Thought the accounts were bulletproof and I'd never lose them. Well my contact got a better job and left and the company bid it out for the first time in years. I got undercut buy a crappy company. Got the contract back the next year but man was that a crummy year. Anyway no more doom and gloom from me. Congrats and good luck!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

i have been doing the chimney work for them for about 15 years but they told me i wasnt gaurenteed the mowing contract so yes id like to get more residential customers.I'm finding out quick this is a cut throat business.