Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, spent all morning taking care of snow. Ready for it to be done and spring to come. Spent the afternoon finishing up the Stealth and tearing into my Ariens.

Pic of Salting

Ariens Getting New Feet

Stealth Before & After

Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep up the good work and the ambition...I'm sure you're already seeing it now, but it definitely pays off.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks a lot. Each customer I get makes me feel more accomplished, can't wait to see how it all pays off.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Figured I'd throw a pic of my truck up.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I mean for my needs right now it works great. It is not the best piece of commercial equipment but holds up fine for me. I have the Kawaski on mine and its a great engine. I ended up buying the mower off of the guy I worked for, who owns a lawn equip shop. I basically got it for free because none of the commercial guys wanted it. Eventually I want to move on to Exmark/Dixie Chopper. How do you like Toro?

Thanks for the advice on the blades. I plan on buying all my oil, some belts, and sets of blades for the year once all my equip is up and running.[/QUOTE]

Oh that's awesome! I would have liked to have a Kawi engine on mine. I'm sure that it will last longer and give you less trouble then any B&S engine, that's for sure! Ah makes sense. That's probably why I haven't been able to sell mine, not that I really want to. It's nice to have a small collection of extra equipment just in case. That sound good! Dixie Chopper doesn't exist where I'm at, but Exmark does. I love my Toro stuff! And because of that I can't dis on Exmark at all since they're the same company. They just usually have a few different controls and colors. The Turboforce deck does great in all types of grass conditions and the mowers have been fairly problem free. One of the reasons I stick with Toro though is because of my dealer. I do have to drive 1.5 hours to get to them, but they have been amazing over the years and always treated me well! At this point I wouldn't buy another Hustler mower, but would love to have another Walker at sometime... if I ever had the actual need for one.

Your welcome! Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know about the mower. You seem to be off to a good start already!
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Lawn View Post
Oh that's awesome! I would have liked to have a Kawi engine on mine. I'm sure that it will last longer and give you less trouble then any B&S engine, that's for sure! Ah makes sense. That's probably why I haven't been able to sell mine, not that I really want to. It's nice to have a small collection of extra equipment just in case. That sound good! Dixie Chopper doesn't exist where I'm at, but Exmark does. I love my Toro stuff! And because of that I can't dis on Exmark at all since they're the same company. They just usually have a few different controls and colors. The Turboforce deck does great in all types of grass conditions and the mowers have been fairly problem free. One of the reasons I stick with Toro though is because of my dealer. I do have to drive 1.5 hours to get to them, but they have been amazing over the years and always treated me well! At this point I wouldn't buy another Hustler mower, but would love to have another Walker at sometime... if I ever had the actual need for one.

Your welcome! Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know about the mower. You seem to be off to a good start already!
Yeah the Kawi is old but starts first pull and runs like a champ. I don't think I'd ever get rid of it because like you said, always nice to have extra equipment, and most likely it will be on my trailer for the next couple of seasons. My main dealer sells everything, Bobcat, Exmark, Dixie, Toro, so I have great options. The other dealer is the guy I worked for, and he only has Hustler for commercial, and after riding them constantly I wasn't too impressed by them. I'd take a Bobcat or Dixie over a Hustler. Toro and Exmark are great, so I'd love to have one.
And thanks! This winter is dragging me down right now, just want it to be spring already!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha sounds like every Kawi motor I have ever had! Mine all started up quickly after sitting for the last 4-5 months unused.

Oh wow that is really really nice! Sounds like a great dealer to me. Make sure that you demo whatever you're interested in on some of your own properties. It saved me from making some bad mistakes in the past when it comes to buying. Do you think you'll be buying any new stuff this seasons?
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah gotta love them Kawi's haha, and yeah it's a great dealer, and 5 mins from my house. And not too far from where I work I have a nice dealer that deals in John Deere, Exmark, Toro, and carries Boss & Snow-Ex for winter needs.

As of right now I plan on getting a new Echo trimmer when I start up, and then a new Echo backpack over the summer. If things take off and I'm doing really well, then I'm going to looking into a Zero Turn/Stander, if things are so so and I'm still working at the apartments part time and cutting I'm going to look into a belt drive Bobcat or Exmark. I definitely want/need something bigger, it would save me a lot of time on a good amount of my yards. It will all depend what happens when the season starts up and and how many accounts I have. Things were picking up when the sun was coming out, now its snowing again and everyone is back in that winter mindset lol. Hard to get your name out there when you have a limited budget for advertising. I got my truck lettered for $70 because my buddies dad owns a sign shop, so I only paid for materials haha, lucky me! And I built a website myself instead of paying someone, turned out pretty decent. So right now I'm just craigslist, door to door fliers, etc. Word of mouth is helping me right now the most, just so slow. I would love to be able to leave my day job and take full charge at my company.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow that's really awesome man! What's the size of the area that you're going to be servicing? (radius in miles, or population)

Nice! Any idea of what particular trimmer you're looking for yet? Awesome, I love my Echo stuff... so I really like hearing that that's what you want to get!
Oh yeah I understand that. I'm glad that you have dreams and ambitions for the future and all. It's important to not get ahead of yourself in expenses though and sometimes actually take a paycheck for yourself. Which you seem to have done a good job at so far. Like a lot of guys have said already. But the fastest way to grow is to definitely invest back into your business as much as you can.

Well good luck on growing! It's not an easy thing to do, but you're off to a good start with the advertising. I have actually not done anything but put our name on our trucks and one trailer. I guess we did go to an expo last year, but it didn't seem to be worth it and we opted out of it this year. Word of mouth has really grown us from working Saturday mornings with two guys, to 6 days a week and 7 guys full time in just 7 years. Just stand behind what you do and you'll get there before you know it.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! My area is between 155 to 200 sq miles, all city, basically a 15x15 area. The population of all of it is around 400,000. My city alone is around 95,000.

I love Echo. All of my handhelds are old but run like new. I have a Shindaiwa, basically Echo, handheld commercial blower from like 98 that I just replaced a recoil on, still need a new tube, but it runs amazing. I'm looking into like a SRM-230. Thanks for the advice! As for overhead I'm keeping it low. The only thing that I have is truck, insurance, phone, etc. I don't plan on getting a new machine until I can pay cash. All my day job cash goes into my business. And if I ever have any extra, it just goes in the savings acct haha.

Growing isn't easy but I have it set in my mind! Nice to hear another persons story, good motivation! Thanks for the help.