Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
4 stroke also means more engine maintenance. which costs money
The added maintenance is so small that it's hardly worth mentioning. On Stihl 4 Mix engines you check the valve clearance once a year and call it done. The entire job of checking the clearance takes all of 15 minutes. I do mine right in the trimmer rack on the trailer.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not understand the concept of mixed fuel in a 4stroke.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

From what I can tell, it's most often that folks are finding fuel issues with their 2-stroke/HH equip...for whatever reason or reasons.
IFF ethanol is an issue, then this is where, perhaps, going out of one's way to obtain ethanol-free fuel may pay the biggest dividends. Obviously, there is a convenience factor - like when one runs out and needs it now.

Allowing fuel with ethanol to sit in 2-stroke equip over the Winter is, perhaps, when the greatest damage of all occurs. I'm not convinced that ANY additive can overcome the practice of allowing ethanol-containing fuel to rest for 2-5 months in the tanks/lines/carbs of 2-stroke equip.

Fuel stabilizers will preserve the fuel to some degree/extent...but can they protect all these plastic/rubber parts from degradation?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you valk on fuel stabilizers. but as far as sea foam, thats not made for a continual treatment, only a periodic treatment to clean out what has been left by the alchoal over time.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I do not understand the concept of mixed fuel in a 4stroke.
Stihl (among others) makes an engine they call 4-mix.
It is a 4 stroke engine, with valves and all, however the fuel is sucked through the crank case just like a 2 stroke engine, so there is no oil sump.

It has the lower emissions of a 4-stroke (less unburned fuel in the exhaust), but no oil changes.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Stihl (among others) makes an engine they call 4-mix.
It is a 4 stroke engine, with valves and all, however the fuel is sucked through the crank case just like a 2 stroke engine, so there is no oil sump.

It has the lower emissions of a 4-stroke (less unburned fuel in the exhaust), but no oil changes.
being that the crank is not as well lubed, and even has more wear (im assuming there are rods up to a cam) would that not wear out quicker than both a 2 stroke and full on 4 stroke?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
From what I can tell, it's most often that folks are finding fuel issues with their 2-stroke/HH equip...for whatever reason or reasons.
IFF ethanol is an issue, then this is where, perhaps, going out of one's way to obtain ethanol-free fuel may pay the biggest dividends. Obviously, there is a convenience factor - like when one runs out and needs it now.

Allowing fuel with ethanol to sit in 2-stroke equip over the Winter is, perhaps, when the greatest damage of all occurs. I'm not convinced that ANY additive can overcome the practice of allowing ethanol-containing fuel to rest for 2-5 months in the tanks/lines/carbs of 2-stroke equip.

Fuel stabilizers will preserve the fuel to some degree/extent...but can they protect all these plastic/rubber parts from degradation?
I just finished getting 60 picese of handhelds back in service after a winter layoff. All of them had an addative put in the fuel. I had very few problems getting the units back into service. I am definitely convinced that the addatives that take care of the water is absolutely necessary. I see very little problem coming from corn gas just a few parts like the primer bulbs and fuel lines and grouments got out.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
being that the crank is not as well lubed, and even has more wear (im assuming there are rods up to a cam) would that not wear out quicker than both a 2 stroke and full on 4 stroke?
The crank is as well lubed in the 4 Mix as it is in any 2 stroke. And yes, there are 2 tiny pushrods for the valves.

Stihl did have some problems with the early 4 Mixes. They have resolved them though and you can expect them to last as long, or longer than most 2 strokes. I have three 4 Mixes and the oldest is a 2005 that was short blocked at Stihl's expense in 2007. I haven't haven't had to do anything other than replace the fuel lines and adjust the valves since then.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This thread should have a poll attached because I'm too lazy to read through eight pages of posts and find the consensus on what stabilizer is most often used.

We use Lucas and run all our equipment on 90 octane recreational fuel (no ethanol) we pay about .05 more than midgrade, but it's worth it.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i think all that lucas is is just 80/90 weight oil. all it does is make ur oil thicker. but most people here are sayin they use seafoam to clean the engine once in a while.