Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

32 or 36 Vanguard

I'm new to the site but have been viewing awhile. I'm fixing to buy another Ferris 3100 with 61 inch deck. I have a 3100 61 with a 37 DFI Kawasaki and it has plenty of power its just a gas hog. Will the 32 Vanguard have plenty of power for the 61 or should i get the 36 Vanguard. I mow full speed most of the time cutting some weekly accounts and bi-weekly. All the properties i mow with the 3100 is big open mowing some of it is thicker grass most of it is fairly thin. 32 or 36?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
I'm new to the site but have been viewing awhile. I'm fixing to buy another Ferris 3100 with 61 inch deck. I have a 3100 61 with a 37 DFI Kawasaki and it has plenty of power its just a gas hog. Will the 32 Vanguard have plenty of power for the 61 or should i get the 36 Vanguard. I mow full speed most of the time cutting some weekly accounts and bi-weekly. All the properties i mow with the 3100 is big open mowing some of it is thicker grass most of it is fairly thin. 32 or 36?
I've run the 32 Vanguard on a 60" deck mower, and not once did I ever see the need for more power, the 32 is a horse. I've also run the old; what was known at the time as a 37 hp Kawi on a 3100, and the 32 Vanguard felt stronger than the Kawasaki. This particular Kawasaki seemed as though the governor was in a constant hunt, up and down mode, whereas the 32 Vanguard never once called on the governor.

I personally now own a new 72" deck mower with what is known as a 35 actual hp Kawasaki (FX1000V) and it has done fine, never hear the governor sound as if it is hunting, honestly never notice the governor kicking in. The engine I now have has a differently designed head than the one on the 3100 I was running, supposedly this made the big difference.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I agree the 37 is always in the governer and I think that us why it's a gas hog. Mine has the new heads also.... The 32 is $300 cheaper than the 36 and I was thinking th 32 might be better on fuel.... But I mow at full speed and my current 3100 is running 13.5 GPS so I don't want to loose any blade tip speed....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah I agree the 37 is always in the governer and I think that us why it's a gas hog. Mine has the new heads also.... The 32 is $300 cheaper than the 36 and I was thinking th 32 might be better on fuel.... But I mow at full speed and my current 3100 is running 13.5 GPS so I don't want to loose any blade tip speed....
Posted via Mobile Device
I use the old adage, "when in doubt, go stout." I can tell by your comments you have a slight concern, and my thoughts from operating the 32 is you will never have any problems maintaining blade tip speed unless you are mowing a wet pasture.

You will always be second guessing yourself, therefore I believe your best buy for ease of mind is the 36. There will be very little difference in fuel consumption, and there can possibly be times where the 36 will not work as hard to maintain full operating rpms, which in return can save fuel.

My thoughts are you would really need to be cutting overgrown, wet grass before ever noticing a difference between the power of the 32 versus the 36. I think you would need to run both engines on a 72" deck; in thick large grass before getting a real feel for a power difference between the two.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm meant to also say I've never seen any Ferris mower produce that much speed. They are actually shipped from the factory at 10 mph, with the option of moving the stops to achieve the advertised 12 mph. When the stops are adjusted most still are a little less than the top advertised speed. You must have a special mower if it is able to achieve 13+ mph. If you have an exact known distance on level ground; I would love for you to give me the distance and stopwatch measured time to cover the distance. This is the most accurate way of checking speed (distance and time), the same as used on a drag-strip. If you've got a known distance of preferably at least 200', run it several times and get an average, I can take the known distance and time, then give you an exact speed. GPS is good to 1/2 mph depending on satellite locations.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took the stops completely off and checked it with two GPS close enough for me I I don't have time to do the other stuff your talking about... I have seen other threads where people said they where getting 13-14 from them...... Of it is only 12 then it's plenty fast for me... I KNOW it will smoke the Outlaw XP in speed becuase i ran a demo and the outlaw is advertised at 12
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 32 HP will have plenty of power with the 61" deck. I would think that the 36 would use considerably more fuel on average, since it is noticably larger in CC's. For the cutting conditions you described above, I doubt you'll regret buying the 32.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I took the stops completely off and checked it with two GPS close enough for me I I don't have time to do the other stuff your talking about... I have seen other threads where people said they where getting 13-14 from them...... Of it is only 12 then it's plenty fast for me... I KNOW it will smoke the Outlaw XP in speed becuase i ran a demo and the outlaw is advertised at 12
Posted via Mobile Device
The stops are there for a reason. With them removed you could be moving the pump arms too far and getting against their internal stops. Not good for the pump.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The 32 HP will have plenty of power with the 61" deck. I would think that the 36 would use considerably more fuel on average, since it is noticably larger in CC's. For the cutting conditions you described above, I doubt you'll regret buying the 32.
I agree, from my experience with the 32 it has unbelievable power.

I put this mower into extremely tall signal grass for the reason of trying to stall the engine, this was the purpose of letting the grass get this tall. Signal grass is full of moisture at all times, and is very difficult to discharge due to being extremely heavy. This mower with the Vanguard never dropped the engine rpms, of course it was moving at a crawl, but the deck cleared itself very well. I cut it twice, it was impossible for it to cut clean in one pass, but I can tell you without doubt this would have stopped most mowers dead in its tracks. I could completely stall my Kohler 28 efi in this grass, but then again the XR-7 will not clear itself (which kills power) as easily as the Bad Boy deck.

This was a 31 hp Vanguard pulling a 60" deck, if I could not stop the engine in this, I don't see a 32 having any problem with a 61" deck.