Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Late summer app product?

So I know the season is just starting but I want to have a plan together. I'm just not sure what product to use for those August apps right before over seeding or new seeding time in September.

Last year I used Q4 Plus. But to be honest, I wasn't completely satisfied. The performance aspect is one thing, I also don't care for the reseeding interval of 30 days and 6 hours rain proof time. It's fine if I'm the one in charge of the schedule. Its another to have someone call later in the month or even in September that wants the crabgrass gone and need seed put down. Not good having to wait 30 days and what if it needs a second app 2 weeks later? Now you're at 6 weeks from the time they first called you out in order to reseed.

I was considering Drive XLR8. Have heard good reviews about it, rain proof within 1 hour, can reseed right away (for tall fescue lawns which probably 95%of people have around me.) However, the one thing Q4 has over Drive XLR8 is the ability to control sedge and several other grassy weeds. Drive is strictly for crab and some limited broadleaves.

My question is; what is a product that kind of is the best of both worlds? Has good knockout power for the crabgrass, good reseeding times, short rainproof time but also can control other grassy weeds and broadleaves not just crabgrass?

I was thinking Acclaim Extra. Rainproof in an hour, controls several types of grassy weeds, can reseed fescue immediately after spraying. The negative is it does not control any broadleaf weeds, you cannot apply Acclaim Extra 21 days after you have sprayed 2,4-D apps. You have to follow up 5 days later to spray broadleaves with 2,4-D. Not sure this is the best either.

Should I just stick with the Q4 Plus? Or, do you know of one or a combination that would work for me after reading what I'm looking for as far as requirements?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty sure acclaim does not do sedge. If you have sedge hit them in June and August. Then seed in September .
Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
Pretty sure acclaim does not do sedge. If you have sedge hit them in June and August. Then seed in September .
Yeah you're right it does not do sedge. not a huge problem with the properties I do but if I run into it I guess I'll have to have another chemical to spray like sedgehammer?

Do you have any experience with Acclaim?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use solitaire to hit sedge and crab at once
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Does that do broad leaves too? What about price?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, does anybody else have opinions on this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Actually just looked up that product sounds exactly what I'm looking for as far as what it controls. Kind of expensive in comparison to the drive or the acclaim. However if it works really good I be willing to spend the extra money.

I'm on a mobile device and trying to read the label information is too tedious. What is the reseeding rate after spraying and how long until it is rain proof?

By the way is this the herbicide that turns everything bright white?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, looks like its a 30 day wait time for reseeding fescue. Label only says works best if no water within 24 hours.

I'd be spot spraying not broadcast. The mixing rate is 0.376 to 0.478 ounces per 1000 sq ft Kind of weird. How do you measure out that little? If I need a backpack with 3 gallons that's 1.43 ounces. Using the higher rate of 0.478. How do you measure this stuff out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The advantage is it hits sedge and crab very well. You still need time before reseeding but if you know you have sedge and go June 1 and August 1 you will be good to seed in September . It is drive and dismiss combo.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It comes with a itsbitsy tinywiny measuring scoop lol. (Really)