Register free!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
The advantage is it hits sedge and crab very well. You still need time before reseeding but if you know you have sedge and go June 1 and August 1 you will be good to seed in September . It is drive and dismiss combo.
Does it work good on broad leaves? The yards I do really don't have sedge issues. I mean, I guess they could at some point. The biggest concern is crab that breaks through my 2 desperate pre apps of barricade and dimension. Not ever too bad but it does happen. Also some other grassy weeds in August before getting ready to aerate, seed in September.

You think solitaire should be the choice after reading my thread and what I'm looking for?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It comes with a itsbitsy tinywiny measuring scoop lol. (Really)
Ha! Might have to swing past my supplier and check that out. Reminds me of this skit if it is in fact that tiny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfErgtpIz18

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by ron mexico75; 03-18-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't have sedge issues then why use q4? Go with drivexlr8 or generic drive. Mid summer you should have minimal broadleaf weeds.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use a regular 3-way only. It's only a 7 day wait for reseeding. By the time seeding gets here temps are cooling off and he may have had some cold nights. Since we are scalping the lawn prior to fall seeding we let the short mow height and hopefully cool weather keep crabgrass and sedges from coming back.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
If you don't have sedge issues then why use q4? Go with drivexlr8 or generic drive. Mid summer you should have minimal broadleaf weeds.
You're right as far as not having many broadleaves in August. The Q4 does help with grassy weeds in addition to the crabgrass that's why I like it (used to like it.) I see the Drive XLR8 controls several types of grassy weeds as well as some limited broadleaves.

I guess prior to spraying, I could do some walk arounds and if needed, do a Drive XLR8 and speedzone combo? I know that wouldn't knock out any sedge so if sedge was observed I could always go back with sedgehammer I guess.

The solitaire looked quite intriguing but it has that 30 day wait time. Maybe I'm over thinking this. I just like to have a plan lined up well in advance.

Some of these properties I cut and I am there weekly. Others, its just fert, pre and post emerg. so I'm not there as often and don't really have as clear of an idea as to what's going on regularly. I guess doing some more walk arounds in between tratments could help me decide on which chemical or combo of chemical to decide on depending on what I observe.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I use a regular 3-way only. It's only a 7 day wait for reseeding. By the time seeding gets here temps are cooling off and he may have had some cold nights. Since we are scalping the lawn prior to fall seeding we let the short mow height and hopefully cool weather keep crabgrass and sedges from coming back.
Yeah, but with the regular 3 way it is just for broadleaves. With the 2 step braodleaf pre emerg I apply in Spring, I have very, very limited weeds. It seems more of the crab, barnyard or "other grassy weeds" are the ones I'm looking to treat in early August.

A lot orf the properties the homeowner cuts so I don't have control over cutting it short and hoping for control that way.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion is to use two products. Speedzone in your left hand and Drive in your right. You need two sprayers of course. I am still waiting for someone to invent a sprayer capable of spraying two different products. Why spray broadleaf chemical on crabgrass, and crabgrass killer on broadleaves?

Also you may be able to cheat just a bit on the minimal time limits before seeding.
Last August I tried seeding after spraying with Lesco Eliminate (like Horsepower).
I found that the new seed did Ok if sown after 72 hours.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-19-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
My opinion is to use two products. Speedzone in your left hand and Drive in your right. You need two sprayers of course. I am still waiting for someone to invent a sprayer capable of spraying two different products. Why spray broadleaf chemical on crabgrass, and crabgrass killer on broadleaves?

Also you may be able to cheat just a bit on the minimal time limits before seeding.
Last August I tried seeding after spraying with Lesco Eliminate (like Horsepower).
I found that the new seed did Ok if sown after 72 hours.
Yeah I hear you. Might just have to wear the back pack with Drive XLR8 and a handheld with Speedzone.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone else have suggestions or does that sound like a plan?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone else?