Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Number one reason for using #57 stone for base..........Survey Said

LAZINESS
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
DVS, do you know the name of the company that built your buddies wall, it didn't happen to be Exterior land development? I live in the next town south of Hinkley.

As for #57 I agree with DVS. Most city engineers require us to use #57 for our base on walls and they do compaction testing after every lift on a city job. We always get above 97%
Posted via Mobile Device
He told me the name about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but it went in one ear and out the other. He said it is a decent size company with trucks that are all over town, mostly nice newer trucks. He said that was what sold his wife.

The wall was poorly constructed, the company routed the roof water down spouts to discharge behind the wall without daylighting them!!!! Which in-turn cause water to hold under the asphalt driveway. So now the asphalt has buckled. My buddy and his attorney had the contractor file a claim with his E&O insurance. And through the grapevine my buddy found out that this was not the first nor the only claim this contractor has filed with his E&O coverage.

I will have to text my buddy and find out the name. I'll be speaking with him this week, but I can't ask him on the phone because he'll go off on a 15 minute spiel about the contractor, and I'm not exagerating. Whenever I get the name I'll PM you.

Kinda funny how a contractor 6-8 hrs away in another state finds things out

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 03-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipfert View Post
Number one reason for using #57 stone for base..........Survey Said

LAZINESS

Actually just the opposite. It's harder to level and harder to set the block on.

I'm a-kinda-wonderin how much (if any) experience some of these thread participants have buildin walls

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha small world, yeah send me a pm if you find out. Also keep me in mind if they need it rebuilt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=DVS Hardscaper;4713427]Actually just the opposite. It's harder to level and harder to set the block on.

Number two reason for using #57 stone astounding base........Suvet Said

Stupidity
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

Not sure where you obtained your knowledge, but what you wrote - AIN'T correct.

Number 1: Clean aggregate (#57) self compacts.

Number 2: It is PERFECTLY acceptable to use. Infact, if you look at most engineers specs you will see where they list for the base that you can use: a) Concrete. B) crusher run. C) #57. All 3 are acceptable.

Also - think of a french drain (dry well). A french drain consists of #57!!!! Because IT DRAINS!!!

So, if you think about it, you do not want water standing at the base of the wall. With that said - #57 clean is perfect because water can drain through it.

Ok, so there is probably someone reading this thinking "why would water collect at the base of the wall, what is this idiot DVS talking about?" Well - I have a buddy in Hinkley Ohio whom had a wall built by a decent size, busy, well known contractor. And that large, well known contractor turned out to be a contractor from He!!. And he built the wall with water collecting at the base. He used crusher run for the base and directed water to collect behind the wall! Had they at least used 3/4" clean - then maybe, just maybe, the water could drain.

Sometimes we use clean. Sometimes we use crusher run. Both are 110% acceptable. And we been building walls since 1997.

hahahahahahaaaa so you're saying a wall should work like a french drain
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLANDER View Post
hahahahahahaaaa so you're saying a wall should work like a french drain
i hope you're just being silly, as no, not at all

Retaining walls are not to be taken lightly. The liability with retaining walls follows the builder for as long as he/she is in business, or until he/she dies, depending on their business entity. So it's important to disseminate correct information.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass139 View Post
I value your opinion I have read a lot of your posts... What do you use to determine which stone to use... I can not understand the concept and in order to sustain a good reputation I should. I understand using a crusher run base and drainage to redirect collecting water but would you pitch your subgrade to drain away and then install #57 creating a large French drain under the wall? Is using #57 stone preferred for smaller walls where drainage is not a huge necessity for added protection. Is #57 stone base used in conjunction with drainage behind wall... So many questions! I feel like a noob agian! Someone help me with this concept! I know a lot of others viewing are in the same boat as me.. I'm not afraid to say Im clueless to this concept of #57 as an srw base. Their has to be some methodology behind it.. Heads ... Tails... #57...cr8.... Just doesn't cut it for me haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Lordy, you need to learn to use paragraghs, sir. My attention span is very short and I bore easily. And it's been a long day running an excavator with a hammer on it for 10 hrs straight.

So - my eyes more or less only read your last sentences.

There is no one size fits all reasoning for deciding what aggragate to use for the base.

Your drainage chimney will be 3/4" clean, herein after referred to as "#57".

One example:
If material staging is tight on the site, it may be easier to just use all the same aggregate (#57), delivered in one load on one truck from the quarry. There may not be room on a site to stage two seperate piles of stone, plus the block, plus the soil that was excavated.

Also, a wall may need 100 to 200 tons of #57 for the drainage chimney. But maybe only 10 tons of aggregate is needed for the base. It may make life simpler to just convert that base aggregate to #57 instead of paying the quarry to bring out a measley 10 tons.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

Not sure where you obtained your knowledge, but what you wrote - AIN'T correct.

Number 1: Clean aggregate (#57) self compacts.

Number 2: It is PERFECTLY acceptable to use. Infact, if you look at most engineers specs you will see where they list for the base that you can use: a) Concrete. B) crusher run. C) #57. All 3 are acceptable.

Also - think of a french drain (dry well). A french drain consists of #57!!!! Because IT DRAINS!!!

So, if you think about it, you do not want water standing at the base of the wall. With that said - #57 clean is perfect because water can drain through it.

Ok, so there is probably someone reading this thinking "why would water collect at the base of the wall, what is this idiot DVS talking about?" Well - I have a buddy in Hinkley Ohio whom had a wall built by a decent size, busy, well known contractor. And that large, well known contractor turned out to be a contractor from He!!. And he built the wall with water collecting at the base. He used crusher run for the base and directed water to collect behind the wall! Had they at least used 3/4" clean - then maybe, just maybe, the water could drain.

Sometimes we use clean. Sometimes we use crusher run. Both are 110% acceptable. And we been building walls since 1997.

first of all DVS its simple, i dont by into everything im told to sell...i dont build it unless i know its correct. It dont take a rocket scientist to know that river rock does not compact, and since it does not compact therfore it has drainage properties....now talk till you're blue in the face and you just make yourself sound like one of the guys you were talking about that dont even know much about building walls (and go ahead with what everyone else tells you is right, i guess).....answer me this, if its correct to backfill a wall with #57 for drainage (would that not (SELF)compact behind the wall then and prevent drainage as you said? WRONG!!.......and i'll tell you why. Because proper drainage behind a wall does not go all the way down to the base, and should actually be even above first course, then follow grade or (FLOW) away from the highest point to the lowest, if not daylighted.....and what good would that do to extend base of drainable properties wider than the block?...so daylighting would flow right back under the base..hahahahahaaa......and dont even go there with concrete as a base. Even engineers should know that limestone or concrete has no drainage properties and is asking for problems to the opposite extent. #57 crusher is perfect for its compaction as well as drainage indeed for any ground water to flow slowly...............but for all folks that do as they are told instead of using common sence. I imagine there could possibly be some applications where this would work, or i should say, make it work (i mean i could if i want....BUT I DONT PERIOD!!.........but i assure you there is a correct way to do everything
Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
Haha small world, yeah send me a pm if you find out. Also keep me in mind if they need it rebuilt.
Posted via Mobile Device
It will need rebuilt. Actually, this isn't recent, I believe it's been a couple years. I think my buddy is still furious about it all and hasn't wanted to fool with it. But he did mention that he has to start thinking about re-doing it. I don't see how he would have time to do it himself. But I can tell you - whoever he talks to about rebuilding it is going to have their competency interrogated to death and will be cross examined in every direction thinkable.

My buddy used to be a general contractor. At the time the wall was built he was very busy and his wife handled everything. This was the first and only time that he let her handle something like this. She wanted to use this contractor because some of "the neighbors used him".

As the project got underway my buddy kept observing flawed practices and he would question the contractor. It got worse and worse, to the point where it became obvious that this big, well known contractor didn't know what he was doing.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt