Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Texas Oasis View Post
Ya, mailboxes are off limits, Federal Law. Get your tenni's on and start walking. If you can't handle that.. your gonna have a hard time in this business.

Another thought... 250 bucks to mail them saves you how much time? 4 hrs? So I'm assuming your not super busy at the moment.. in which case you should do it yourself. Break it down into chunks... I usually pass out 200 at a time... and normally get 1 or 2 calls from my 200.
ya man thats most likely what im gonna do, shoot for 200-300 each day and finish the 1700 off in a week or so, and a 1% return=17 calls/contracts...is that too many to be hoping for??
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes you can not put it in the mailbox. And the law has other restrictions.

Last year a mailman on his route said you can get fined putting flyers in a mailbox. Then he went on to advise that anywhere on the outside of the box such as behind the flag or on the post you will not get into trouble.

So I have been slipping the flyer's between the flag and the box. On the boxes with the flag broken off I slip it behind the back of the box and the post when the vertical post extends up that high. Also will use any decorative iron work openings to hold the flyer in place. If all that fails any gap that will hold the flyer in place as long it is does not have anything to do with the mail box door.

To those that cry you will be breaking the law.

I will expect those to report themselves to the police and pay the full fine for every time the go above the speed limit by any amount and also for every time that they do not come to a full stop. Including right turns on red.

I want to do EDDM. To do just one whole zip code would cost me about $2,600. Edit to add that this price does not include the cost of the printed materials.

I do not have the money to afford EDDM.

What I do have is a lot of free time.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Yes you can not put it in the mailbox. And the law has other restrictions.

To those that cry you will be breaking the law.

I will expect those to report themselves to the police and pay the full fine for every time the go above the speed limit by any amount and also for every time that they do not come to a full stop. Including right turns on red.

No need to report yourself.. your putting a flyer with your name and telephone number on the mailbox. Pretty ez to figure out who did it. =)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I asked a cop and mailman and they said it was fine behind the flag. We stick to putting it in the persons door normally, but when it starts getting dark and your hungry....
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLLandscaping View Post
I asked a cop and mailman and they said it was fine behind the flag. We stick to putting it in the persons door normally, but when it starts getting dark and your hungry....
Then they either didn't care or don't know the regulations. If the post office chooses to, they can collect the flyers and bill you for the postage.
"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."

source: http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usp...Bc_usps0916%5D
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

put them in the newspaper boxes if they have them in your area. it's not illegal. the problem around here is not everyone has a paper box.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
put them in the newspaper boxes if they have them in your area. it's not illegal. the problem around here is not everyone has a paper box.
Problem with that, as I said in the other thread... What is a customer going to think about someone who is too lazy to walk to the door? I sure as heck wouldn't hire them for anything.. the flyer would go straight in the trash.

I sometimes hire my nephews to help.. they are 11 and 12 years old.. good cheap labor, and it's easy money to them. =)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
No need to report yourself.. your putting a flyer with your name and telephone number on the mailbox. Pretty ez to figure out who did it. =)
I think you missed the meaning of my post.

No they will not be placing flyer's illegally. So no need to report that.

I'm talking about all the nay sayer's complaining about breaking all postal mail box regulations, but about their ability to go over the posted speed limit and not do full stops.

Being they are so honest they need to report those motor vehicle violations that they make.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Problem with that, as I said in the other thread... What is a customer going to think about someone who is too lazy to walk to the door? I sure as heck wouldn't hire them for anything.. the flyer would go straight in the trash.

I sometimes hire my nephews to help.. they are 11 and 12 years old.. good cheap labor, and it's easy money to them. =)
In my neck of the woods people do not like strangers coming to their doors. That is why there are no solictation laws. Placing flyer's on the mail box gives people their needed space.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
In my neck of the woods people do not like strangers coming to their doors. That is why there are no solictation laws. Placing flyer's on the mail box gives people their needed space.

I can understand that. I guess I'm used to Texas.. very few strangers around here. People are wary.. but generally friendly.