Register free!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hahaha, we are talking about #57 limestone!!! It compacts great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
It will need rebuilt. Actually, this isn't recent, I believe it's been a couple years. I think my buddy is still furious about it all and hasn't wanted to fool with it. But he did mention that he has to start thinking about re-doing it. I don't see how he would have time to do it himself. But I can tell you - whoever he talks to about rebuilding it is going to have their competency interrogated to death and will be cross examined in every direction thinkable.

My buddy used to be a general contractor. At the time the wall was built he was very busy and his wife handled everything. This was the first and only time that he let her handle something like this. She wanted to use this contractor because some of "the neighbors used him".

As the project got underway my buddy kept observing flawed practices and he would question the contractor. It got worse and worse, to the point where it became obvious that this big, well known contractor didn't know what he was doing.
Next time you talk to your buddy just let him know I am interested, I have no problem getting interrogated. If he is interested I will pm you my contact info.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Lordy, you need to learn to use paragraghs, sir. My attention span is very short and I bore easily. And it's been a long day running an excavator with a hammer on it for 10 hrs straight.

So - my eyes more or less only read your last sentences.

There is no one size fits all reasoning for deciding what aggragate to use for the base.

Your drainage chimney will be 3/4" clean, herein after referred to as "#57".

One example:
If material staging is tight on the site, it may be easier to just use all the same aggregate (#57), delivered in one load on one truck from the quarry. There may not be room on a site to stage two seperate piles of stone, plus the block, plus the soil that was excavated.

Also, a wall may need 100 to 200 tons of #57 for the drainage chimney. But maybe only 10 tons of aggregate is needed for the base. It may make life simpler to just convert that base aggregate to #57 instead of paying the quarry to bring out a measley 10 tons.
Haha my bad this topic has me really crazy seeing as I've been installing walls for quite some time with cr8 and the thought of everything I've done could have been more properly installed really really drove me nuts..

It seems like its really apples to apples and the decision to use #57 is really just a smart business move..

I don't thoroughly understand the subject at all but at least I have confirmed that using cr8 is acceptable..

If anyone has other advantages to using #57 as an srw base it would benefit a lot of us if they could provide their knowledge!

Until I thoroughly understand #57 as a wall base I will continue what I know and pry for some answers.. I may experiment on a small wall to first hand experience the use and feasibility of this system and MAYBE I will understand it a little better.

Any tips or tricks to use #57 would be appreciated. Thank you very much to everyone who participated in this thread it is satisfying knowing others out there are as enthusiastic and inspired by the work they do..and the information acquired through this thread is extremely invaluable.
Posted via Mobile Device