Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 AM
coldgin coldgin is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: maryville tn
Posts: 57
blade clutch

friend of mine I work with said he tried to mow for the first time over the weekend and when he engaged the blades smoke started coming from the mower...he has a scag walk behind with electric pto clutch...he ordered a new one and I am assisting with the install...any advice and how long a job is it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 AM
dieselss dieselss is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: highland in
Posts: 452
getting the old one off can be a bit tricky,,,,tapered shaft and all. then trying to line up the new one with the belts can be tricky as well. I would say 2hrs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselss View Post
getting the old one off can be a bit tricky,,,,tapered shaft and all. then trying to line up the new one with the belts can be tricky as well. I would say 2hrs

You must be thinking of something else, There's no tapered shaft and no belts to line up. The clutch slides into one spot and the bolt holds it up.....

If the old clutch slides off easily I'd say 15 mins, If you have to massage it off with pry bars and a hammer add another 15 mins......
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM
BigFish's Avatar
BigFish BigFish is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgin View Post
friend of mine I work with said he tried to mow for the first time over the weekend and when he engaged the blades smoke started coming from the mower...he has a scag walk behind with electric pto clutch...he ordered a new one and I am assisting with the install...any advice and how long a job is it?
At least an hour! Prolly more, especially with two of ya doin' it. Trust me!
__________________
" But let me tell you something ,folks: You can't fix stupid! There's not a pill you can take, there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever!"

......AMF!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,530
Dang..... I must be too good......
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 PM
coldgin coldgin is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: maryville tn
Posts: 57
thanks for replies guys...my buddy called and felt like an idiot...the clutch is ok...turns out it was the drive belt for the tranny smoking upon further examination...going to go check it out tomorrow...sounds like a belt tensioner is locked up...he had bought a new clutch but luckily the dealer refunded him his money and got new drive belt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.06722 seconds with 9 queries