Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've fired clients that I couldn't deal with, but not for any of those reasons... as Raymond stated, at the end of the day nothing changes anyways... strangely enough one of my best clients was actually doing 2X per day last Fall...
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I take the time to educate all my customers on watering times and mowing strategies but at the end of the day many of them still soak the piss out of the lawn 2x per day and scalp it...but the check clears. I would probably end up losing 1/2 of them if I made that stipulation.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hear you. That sounds about like half of my customers and every one of those lawns are struggling to thrive.

I'm not expecting explosive growth with this approach. I just need to make the lawn personal trainer angle appealing.

Seriously ...why would a personal trainer want to be constantly agrivated by clients who eat junk food and drag their feet every step of the way of the program...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Larry,

I get the drift. I do my best to avoid pruning & bed work. I only do that stuff for the ones willing to pay my power equipment rate...even then I get yancy if I'm on one property too long.

High end residential is iffy for me. Seems the higher the income the cheaper they want you to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Most of my accounts take 3 to 4 hours each. The big advantage is theres still alot to do in the winter.

Ive been going after smaller simpler homes so I can do one more house aday. Its hard to do three four hour homes in a day.

Another advantage to doing real nice yards is that its "free" advertising.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post

Seriously ...why would a personal trainer want to be constantly agrivated by clients who eat junk food and drag their feet every step of the way of the program...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Guaranteed long term customer. LOL
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turf Guys View Post
Guaranteed long term customer. LOL
Funny you mention this. This maybe in fact the angle the big Apple customers use. Early spring fert mid May on frozen ground helps push weeds. Then customer calls up for an additional blanket application of herbicide. Makes sense to me now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I think part of the problem is that homeowners have been bombarded by lies and bad information for so long that they either believe BS or they are just so confused that they don't believe anything.

Last year during the worst drought in 30 years and at the height of weeks of 100+ days our local county extension office(full of Ph D.'s and Master Gardners) and local TV shows told people to just completely stop watering their lawns. I continued to tell my customers to doing a deep watering twice per week. Some listened and some didn't. Bottom line is this year a guy make a killing just doing aerating and overseeding all year!!! All because these homeowners got tricked into a bunch of bad info. In the end the customers just don't know what to believe anymore.

Good thing I read one of your previous threads about PLUGR aerators. Bought and 855 last season. It more than paid for itself in 1 month and was a snap to operate.
Thanks!!!!