Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
one has suspension ride and the other one dont
They are the same model, how can one have suspensions and the other not? Look back up a few posts, xc2010 posted the measurements.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

We own a 279C an my neighbour owns a 279C2 an we noticed the same thing so we parked them side by side an it seems they moved the drive sprocket farther to front of machine, probably for better wrap around on back roller, an they shorthened the track from a 60 link to a 56.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Pro View Post
Yes we bought one we picked her up at the end of december. I love the power of this machine. I have got used to the rear visibility, it is not as good as my 289 but not that bad, every one I have talked to that was there bigiest concern. I am with you I will love to see how the 289 279d machines turn out.
Posted via Mobile Device
I will say the rear visibility does suck,But that isnt a deal breaker for me.Guys say the same about the Bobcats.I for one only need a hand full of hours on a new machine and I know every square inch of it.It's all about knowing where your at.I'm chewing at the bit's waiting to see the new 279D.If you happen to hear anything more about it from your sales guy,Let me know,Just update this thread something.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
We own a 279C an my neighbour owns a 279C2 an we noticed the same thing so we parked them side by side an it seems they moved the drive sprocket farther to front of machine, probably for better wrap around on back roller, an they shorthened the track from a 60 link to a 56.
Yea the 279C2 I saw in person looked goofy to me.

How do you like your 279?Any issues with the tracks coming off?

You got any pics of it?You gotta love pics!!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd wait for the D models in my opinion, the C2 series have less power and the D's have the new electronic snubbing in the cylinders.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

how do these compare to a takeuchi?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post

Apples to oranges, one is over priced and has a nice cushy cab and the other makes me giggle like a school girl.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, we've had some problems with tracks comin off, mostly when working in the bush or driving on larger rocks, is when that happens. We have 1900hrs on the machine now, so far good expeirence! All these pics are the same machine over a 2 1/2 yr span,an ya those are Mclaren tracks.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
In what respect? hp, speed, serviceability, comfort, etc.???

I recently had an opportunity to spend some time in a 299D XHP machine. I was very impressed. I have operating Takeuchis over the years and they have not changed much (not necessarily a bad thing). If you do not care about being comfortable and dust free in the cab for long hours than the Takeuchi is probably the right machine for you. They have a reputation for durability, but I do know Takeuchi salesmen and service techs that will tell you that they break just like anyone else's machine. IMO the D series CAT machine is superior is most aspects related to the Takeuchi- hydraulics, fit and finish, serviceability, comfort in the cab, etc. I was also shocked at how closely the two machines are priced when spec'd closely (TL12). I can't speak for other areas, but the local CAT dealer also has a loaner program if your machine goes down within the warranty period and 24 hour guaranteed parts.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
I'd wait for the D models in my opinion, the C2 series have less power and the D's have the new electronic snubbing in the cylinders.
Posted via Mobile Device
The snubbing on the 299D XHP was cool, but I thought the self leveling up and down was very good. You could load up a hill and a the bucket would stay horizontal. The dealer made a small pit and the bucket would stay level as you drove down and then back up. Nice feature for a hard scaper.