Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I personally like the redmax equipment currently looking at a bcz2660ts looking about $380 good power to weight ratio reliable i have a bcz 2650s already the only difference is in the shaft. the s being a solid shank and the ts a hardend hollow only about 15 dollars difference
Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones68 View Post
I personally like the redmax equipment currently looking at a bcz2660ts looking about $380 good power to weight ratio reliable i have a bcz 2650s already the only difference is in the shaft. the s being a solid shank and the ts a hardend hollow only about 15 dollars difference
The hollow shaft version isn't recommended or approved for the other attachment heads, nor is the extra torque models. I've looked at the RM models, but for the same basic cost I can step up to a much more powerful trimmer in the Stihl line.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good call ridin' green i dont use anything but a trimmer head on mine so either is good for me... i have good luck with all the redmax equipment so i stick with them bottom line for me would be dealer support if i didnt have a good dealer locally i would switch to a different brand... i do have some stihl equipment that i have got some great used deals on and i do run stihl chain saws but for trimmers and blowers i think redmax takes the cake
Old 03-21-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The hollow shaft version isn't recommended or approved for the other attachment heads, nor is the extra torque models. I've looked at the RM models, but for the same basic cost I can step up to a much more powerful trimmer in the Stihl line.
This is my observation as well. My old RedMax was as dependable as dependable could get...but, I've not heard as much good about their current dependability as I would prefer. It did not have the power that my FS-80 has, fwiw...though it was close to if not RM's smallest commercial trimmer at the time.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like Redmax tools, and I'd really like to buy the Reciprocator this year, but their biggest trimmer is only on a par with the FS110, so that ruled them out for me. I have been reading lots of negative things about their most recent tools too, so that makes me a bit hesitant as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys, take a look at what has replaced the FS250 over in other countries. I wish we could get them here right now, They also have backpack trimmers in other countries that we don't get here from Stihl-

http://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-too...shcutters.aspx
Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

On paper, RedMax has some enticing machines, no doubt.

My concern as a solo is that I NEED it to start and be GTG in short order. I'm not needing it to start and then run continuously ALL day...others prolly do.
-Still own a RM HH blower that was reliable, but cold-blooded.
-My 8001 BP blower is a BEAST & is ALWAYS ready to go.
-From talking with a died-in-the-wool RM-fan LCO buddy, his take is that RM trimmers have slid in recent years. This concerns me cuz I read similar things around here at LS.

I talked with a RM dealer who found out the RM Extra Torque Trimmers are more-or-less made for users who remove the guard = meaning they can spin a longer line. They also have a hollow driveshaft making them a bit lighter.

FWIW, I don't want a bike handled brushcutter, but a simple loop-handled trimmer with some added power to enable edging through the tougher stuff...as well as some off-road trimming if needed. For my preference: the guard is always removed (no bashing please) cuz I want to see what I'm doing and have the most maneuverability around yard items.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only complaints I ever hear or read about RM are about their trimmer carbs going bad very quickly now, and the early 8500 overheating issue. The carb thing is not just from ethanol or all brands would be having problems that quickly. I assume they switched carb brands a while back and that is what is causing the issue. Regardless, I'd probably buy one if they made one big enough to match the 130 or 250. They have the weight down there, just not the power I am looking for.

I'm wanting a loop handle version too. I plan on using it for more than trimming/cutting weeds etc.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

husqvarna 326 2 stroke. light powerful and affordable all day long. Never breaks down. never ever.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here ya go: RedMax BCZ350S (reportedly) coming in at 2.15hp, 34.6cc, 13.0lbs and ~$460. About $110 less than a FS-250R when you add in tax. Still not sure I'd go this direction, but I sure enjoy examining my options! One complaint in one of the reviews was a ~2min warm-up needed. This unit is listed under RM's Brushcutters, but has a loop handle.

http://www.redmax.com/products/brush.../#tab-techdata
~ Josh Billings