Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
get a honda or a husqvarna 4 stroke. husqvarna uses the same honda engine.

i've had my honda over 10 years and i've never adjusted the valves at all. still runs perfectly and cranks first pull. these are great for low rpm trimming since they have more torque than a 2 stroke. they run on straight gas too. no mixing of oil needed.
Same here I love my Husqvarna 4 stroke 224L.
I can not find anything I can not cut , tall grass ,all the way up to small trees. It does not use much gas ,I cut 2 today only use 1/4 of a tank.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I believe that the 130 has all the power I need for what I want, but I hate the way the 4 mixer's don't rev smoothly from idle to full throttle. I can hold my 90 at 1/3 throttle for a few seconds, then it either dies off or jumps up. That pisses me off when trying to trim or edge near cars. That is the only thing keeping me from jumping all over a 130 right now.
I understand why 4 mixer's don't rev smoothly and a Honda 4 stroke rev smoothly .

A 4 mixer' s as fuel mix that goes in and out of the crank case that makes a odd pressure in the intake .
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
I understand why 4 mixer's don't rev smoothly and a Honda 4 stroke rev smoothly .

A 4 mixer' s as fuel mix that goes in and out of the crank case that makes a odd pressure in the intake .
No, it's in the throttle control/trigger assembly's design. The blowers and other 4 mix stuff are very smooth throughout the throttle control's range. There was a post by a mechanic on here last year or the year before that explained it in detail, but I can't remember what the thread was. It isn't that the trimmers don't rev smoothly, because they do. It's that they are hard to feather up and down smoothly. The engines run great. I love the sound of them. If it wasn't for the feathering issue, I'd be all over a 130.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

sthil trigger desighn is awfull
Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
No, it's in the throttle control/trigger assembly's design. The blowers and other 4 mix stuff are very smooth throughout the throttle control's range. There was a post by a mechanic on here last year or the year before that explained it in detail, but I can't remember what the thread was. It isn't that the trimmers don't rev smoothly, because they do. It's that they are hard to feather up and down smoothly. The engines run great. I love the sound of them. If it wasn't for the feathering issue, I'd be all over a 130.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN5BWxXo1cc
Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's interesting to watch, but it doesn't have anything to do with what I'm talking about. The high/low pressure doesn't have anything to do with why Stihl 4 mix trimmers jump up like they do. If it did, it would also affect all their other 4 mix engine equipped machines, and it doesn't. Their 4 mix blowers don't have that trouble- only the trimmers. The blowers can be feathered very smoothly all the way from idle to WOT and back down. I remember the guy I mentioned earlier illustrating how/where it is in the linkage of the trigger and throttle cable system on the trimmers.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My guess is that these 4Mix blowers, while being essentially ~twice the displacement/cc's of the 4Mix trimmers, are under more of a constant&increasing load due to spinning an impeller - thus moving a lot of air throughout its RPM range.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
My guess is that these 4Mix blowers, while being essentially ~twice the displacement/cc's of the 4Mix trimmers, are under more of a constant&increasing load due to spinning an impeller - thus moving a lot of air throughout its RPM range.
I think you are right smaller engines have more fuel problems than bigger engines do. I know a lot about engines, threw the years I been in my Dad's logging as I work on saw to Big diesel trucks to my days has a small engine mechanic and RC airplanes of ever size scents 1990 and my airplanes are the only one at the flying field that run perfect.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Decision made. Bought a BIG 35.8cc Honda 4-stroke Trimmer HHT35SLTA today. Thank you all for your great insights. Mucho appreciado.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

was replacing the throttle cable on my sthil 4 mix edger and noticed they have changed the desighn of the cable and guide . much smoother now!