Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

1400 hours

I am looking at buyn a used exmark. This machine has 1400 hours on it and its an 03. Is that alot of hours? Whats the max amount of hours on zero turns before it is time to swap out a motors? Ths machine looks like it was well takn care of.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

1400 hours

Yes that's alot of hours. I personally would never purchase something with that many hours. Only buying someone else's problems. If it was maintained properly and you have a mechanic connection it may be worth it. I just wouldn't take the chance. I only buy new equipment generally.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish I could afford to buy new equipment. I currently have a wb belt drivin but I ran it the first season saved some money and over the winter restored the whole machine motor and tranny paint belts tires and even decals. Its basicaly a new machine now. But if I did that to a ztr I think that would be a lil spendy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey humphrey View Post
I am looking at buyn a used exmark. This machine has 1400 hours on it and its an 03. Is that alot of hours? Whats the max amount of hours on zero turns before it is time to swap out a motors? Ths machine looks like it was well takn care of.
Posted via Mobile Device
It depends on how it has been cared for as to if it is a lot of hours or not. On my machines, 1400 hours is not a whole lot. It also depends on what kind of motor it has on it. If its a Kawasaki, in my experience, yes, that is when they are getting old. If it is a well cared for Kohler Command, then it isn't even close to half way done yet (at least in my experience). I have ran Kohlers up to 5000 hours. Kawasaki motors almost always die on me at exactly 1400 hours. The FH series is the one I hate the most.

Last edited by ddixon7; 03-22-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey humphrey View Post
I wish I could afford to buy new equipment. I currently have a wb belt drivin but I ran it the first season saved some money and over the winter restored the whole machine motor and tranny paint belts tires and even decals. Its basicaly a new machine now. But if I did that to a ztr I think that would be a lil spendy.
Posted via Mobile Device
What exact model mower are you looking at? Deck size? Engine size and brand? I assume a Lazer Z? What you have to understand is that besides the engine, the pump and wheel motors also have a limited life span. Sometimes you can get 4000 hours out of all of that, sometimes its only 2000. It just depends. Pump and wheel motors are not cheap.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

03 with 1400 hrs didn't get used to much 10 yrs old that's 140 hrs per season
I avg 400hrs per season