Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Keeping crab out of St Aug without pre's

I'm not in Fla but have a St Aug lawn that needs growing in due to damage from another company. Since Fla is the land of St Aug I figured some of you would have ideas on this. I know I can get this to fill in but am going to have to fight the crabgrass. Typical pre's for crab prevent the runners from spreading and rooting in. What are some products or techniques you would use for this situation?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I'm not in Fla but have a St Aug lawn that needs growing in due to damage from another company. Since Fla is the land of St Aug I figured some of you would have ideas on this. I know I can get this to fill in but am going to have to fight the crabgrass. Typical pre's for crab prevent the runners from spreading and rooting in. What are some products or techniques you would use for this situation?
Use asulox when nobody is looking, write it off on some commercial job where you burned out grassy weeds since it is restricted and monitored!

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Use asulox when nobody is looking, write it off on some commercial job where you burned out grassy weeds since it is restricted and monitored!
Assulox got restricted further. Sod farm use only. Only way to swing that is if you do spraying for a sod farm.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have used barricade the last few yrs and havent seen any runner problems...it has worked great for me on crabgrass....
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
i have used barricade the last few yrs and havent seen any runner problems...it has worked great for me on crabgrass....
Gregory: You are doing things right--applying early and again during the growing season. So many times a one time attitude leads to most problems. Nearly all pre-em last only a couple of months at best. Re-applying before that time is up will result in good control of most problems thus eliminating any need for stronger measures. The general mindset is to apply at higher rate and hope for the best just will not work when the growing season for warm-seasoned grasses; could double that of cool season turf.
Good job.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Gregory: You are doing things right--applying early and again during the growing season. So many times a one time attitude leads to most problems. Nearly all pre-em last only a couple of months at best. Re-applying before that time is up will result in good control of most problems thus eliminating any need for stronger measures. The general mindset is to apply at higher rate and hope for the best just will not work when the growing season for warm-seasoned grasses; could double that of cool season turf.
Good job.
Ral,
This is an area that is approx 25% St Aug. You don't think the Prodiamine will inhibit spreading? I thought you didn't use this particular pre.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i do use split app on the barricade. I put one app down a few weeks ago and will put another one down end of may or so.. I was alittle worried about the runners filling in but i tried it and had no problems with runners filling in atleast not for me...
Old 03-23-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Ral,
This is an area that is approx 25% St Aug. You don't think the Prodiamine will inhibit spreading? I thought you didn't use this particular pre.
Prodiamine is what I use on the fescue in TN. I use "Gallery" on the warm-season turf on the coast. In TN, an application of Stonewall or Dimension is put down between Feb. 15-Mar.15 with a follow up in May. By Sept grass could be dormant but if it is a normal season another application to take through fall season.
Putting down "Gallery" now or before Greenup takes us till May, then another in August since the heavy irrigation on the sand washes a lot of it out. You've basically got to just watch you IPM and adjust your products and times. So far--knock on wood--my lawns are weed free. Very little of anything until weed pressure forces us to spray for sedges or Kyliinga.
To limit the root prunning on the St. Augustine, apply a light application now. The stolon growth has not started yet, when it does the hair roots that root it into the ground will tell you when to put down another application. Watch the growth from the crown outward. Generally not until after June on the coast but you may be different. I would refrain from using any pre-em during the active regrowing time. Sometimes it year round as in Florida but it does slow at times. If things are very bad on the Crabgrass, look into "Prograss" and read the label.

Last edited by RAlmaroad; 03-23-2013 at 02:35 PM.