Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro Dingo Back Hoe Troubles

Hi Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. So I bought a used Toro Dingo Back Hoe and had it shipped by a third party. I was out of town and wife signed for it. I come back a few weeks later and find out that the joystick is limp. Turns out the keyhole (or whatever you call it) that the bent joystick connects to is broken. First picture is of the part from toro's website and the 2nd and third are the actual picture of the damage.

Is there a way to repair this thing? Can I weld it? I might be wrong but looks like the previous owner tried to weld it but didn't get it right. A new valve assembly is $3K and I can't afford to pay that much out of pocket.

Toro Dingo BackHoe Model is 23160
Serial Range 200000001

Is this salvageable or I am out of luck?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It should be able to be rebuilt back up with welds.Tig would be the best.Probably cheaper just to order that spool itself along with seals and teflons and replace it instead of the whole valve.

I would snap some pics drive down to a couple local weld shops and get some estimates.They will probably want the spool out to weld so they don't cook the innards. If it's gotta come out anyway get some parts pricing.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
It should be able to be rebuilt back up with welds.Tig would be the best.Probably cheaper just to order that spool itself along with seals and teflons and replace it instead of the whole valve.

I would snap some pics drive down to a couple local weld shops and get some estimates.They will probably want the spool out to weld so they don't cook the innards. If it's gotta come out anyway get some parts pricing.
Normie...wouldn't the valve assy have a manufacturers name on it ?
I'm pretty sure Toro didn't make the unit...I'm thinkin that if you can get a make and model # off the spool valve assy...you might be able to locate the replacement spool...
Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Normie...wouldn't the valve assy have a manufacturers name on it ?
I'm pretty sure Toro didn't make the unit...I'm thinkin that if you can get a make and model # off the spool valve assy...you might be able to locate the replacement spool...
Hey slapper...It my not have a name on it but it should have a number embossed on it somewhere.I'm sure Toro didn't make it but had it built to spec for them and that may be proprietary which means they own the rights to it.Even if you found the mfg's name and was able to contact them they won't sell parts to anyone if Toro owns the rights.There is a possibility it could be a generic over the counter valve assembly so always investigate and at least try.

Been down this road before sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you look closely at the spool/valve, the broken part/tang looks to be a separate piece, mayhaps screwed into the spool. You might could check with hydraulics shops to see if they have one. If you can unscrew the broken piece, any good machine shop should be able to make a new tang.
At any rate it's a good bet the spool/ valve will have to come out for the repair or replacement.
Have you checked Toro's site? They might sell just the spool.

......AMF!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen that same assembly years back on our EarthForce and Bobcat B100 mini backhoes, We have a Kubota now.....

I still have a box of spare parts in my stockroom with joints and pins ect. IIRC but no spool.

I'd suggest checking with a local hydraulic rebuilder, If anyone could identify that valve assembly they'd be the best bet......
Attached Images

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Fish usually spools are machined from a single piece of steel and the parts pic doesn't show it broke down like that.I'm sure Toro will sell spools cause they do get tore up and need replacing from time to time.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I think I will first start with getting in touch with Toro first thing Monday morning and see if they sell the spool valve separately ( now that I know what it is actually called ) and then go on from there. Will probably start pulling this whole assembly apart tomorrow and take it to a hydraulic builder and see if I get lucky otherwise will have to get it welded.

Thank you