Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm with Snyder's---PASS
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
... So after the corn gluten is put down I would scrape up the bare areas and put down a quality an all KBG mixture. It will take time to come in though when it does the new grass will match the old grass. And the area would not have to be reseeded and reworked to ensure soil to seed contact by having to do another reseeding because I wont use an annual rye seed the first time. ...
I wouldn't waste client money on pre-m, even if the CGM did work... especially if it worked, becuz Spring seeding is going to be Tricky as it is...

A local blend of perennial seed is what is needed for the barespots,,, IF,,, you get started on time...
(AR is only a backup for keeping down the dust/mud in the grass,,, once it is TOO LATE for real seed)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turf Guys View Post
I'm with Snyder's---PASS
Exact, made a good point about 'client attitude' towards the end of the season, as far as reseeding goes...

For those same people, they are all excited about Spring and want the best lawn EVER this year...
You lose a lot of business, telling them they have to deal with the dust and mud until Fall...

Its not hard to do, as long as the client knows that no pre-m will be put down, this Spring...
Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't believe that there are many true organically minded , green people out there... they always talk about what everyone else should do,,, so if I were to recommend 'spot spraying' for a bad weed outbreak, they would be willing to 'compromise' this one time...

Fortuneately there are not many years, in which a weed out break occurs, in a maturely, naturally maintained lawn... not like Al Gore, compromising his own carbon footprint, every minute of every day...
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

small- My pass is directed at the "going organic". I like AR to get some good color and cover growing but organic customers just don't fit my biz. 1 customer wanted to go organic last year and I just respectfully told him he would have to find another company. Extra inventory and hassle for less than 1% of business just not worth it too me. But I know some of you guys can charge enough to make it worthwhile.

However, this spring is going to be GREAT for overseedsing and some quick growing/greening AR always makes you look good to the homeowner.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turf Guys View Post
small- My pass is directed at the "going organic". I like AR to get some good color and cover growing but organic customers just don't fit my biz. 1 customer wanted to go organic last year and I just respectfully told him he would have to find another company. Extra inventory and hassle for less than 1% of business just not worth it too me. But I know some of you guys can charge enough to make it worthwhile.

However, this spring is going to be GREAT for overseedsing and some quick growing/greening AR always makes you look good to the homeowner.
OK, my mistake...
I'm glad to see LCOs out there doing a Spring overseed... it has been taboo for a long time and that is why I got the false impression... good luck...

I just hope this Summer is a little kinder to our seedlings, than last Summer...
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Smallaxe,

Is it common in your area for homeowners to have irrigation systems?

It seems that in many Midwest areas.... there seems to be a reliance on natural rainfall to keep lawns going. Thus drought conditions are brutal to the financial needs of contractors who rely on mowing for income.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the neighborhoods in which I do full maintainance do indeed artificially water to keep the grass from browning out completely as a priority...
Most of my clients actually keep the grass a vibrant Packer Green color all season, regardless of heat and drought...
Whether it is common to our area??? I'm not sure what the answer would be but almost every h.o. sets out sprinklers during the summer heat, when they want a beer on the porch,,, in the evening...
Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Smallaxe,

Is it common in your area for homeowners to have irrigation systems?

It seems that in many Midwest areas.... there seems to be a reliance on natural rainfall to keep lawns going. Thus drought conditions are brutal to the financial needs of contractors who rely on mowing for income.
Posted via Mobile Device
Would you still recommend an early Spring seeding with AR even for the un irrigated lawn? I'm in 5b as well. I love the idea of filling the bare spots with grass instead of pre emergent but does the AR typically survive until the Fall seeding begins? Would you seed at 5lbs per k or 10?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Regardless of seed rate I think bare spot repair with with AR is a great plan with iffy irrigation. If your region has decent late summer early fall rain fall then fill in with desired seed.

Problem here is late summer, autumn and post sprinkler blow outs ....relying on natural rainfall is not dependable and makes Fall renovations a real crap shoot.

If I know a client will stayed married to the watering drill and stay on it like stink on a Sasquatch... I have no problem doing over seeding in August or late Summer.
Posted via Mobile Device