Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Any insights on the Gravely XD3 as a commercially used walk behind?

Still doing a lot of foot work as a newbie. The Gravely XD3 keeps showing up in my searches, but I am not finding any real reviews out there. Maybe, it is as simple as not being a true competitor in the commercial aspect of 21" mowers. I don't know, please help...
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought two of them this Friday. I have not used them yet, ( maybe today for a little) but they seem well made. One of the main reasons for me buying them was they look really cool, they fold up like my Honda's, deep deck for mulching and I believe the Subaru engine will be a good motor. I also like that you have many more handle hight options. Most of my mowers had 3 positions or you move bolts to adjust heights. I think this has 5 or 6 positions that you click in with very little effort. The height management is important to me because I'm short, my kids are shorter, and my help is tall to taller. So we are always moving the heights, and this has many. The speed control looks iffy, but only time will tell. If you guy's, like I will keep you posted on my thoughts through out this week of using these mowers.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking at this mower as well. Did you try it out yet? I am the most interested in how it bags and how responsive the speed control is!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttled View Post
I'm looking at this mower as well. Did you try it out yet? I am the most interested in how it bags and how responsive the speed control is!
You resurrected a year old thread...so don't holding your breath on timely answers is optional!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Honestly I don't know how well the XD3 will hold up to commercial use day in and day out. After all its a residential machine. I would check out the Commercial 21 Gravely just introduced.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is an OK mower, I love the handle, it is great for bagging leaves, it will fill the whole bag tight, the side discharge is crap as it will clog all the time, in about 10 lawn the sprig that holds the "blocker" came off. I remove the entire thing and now is a true side discharge mower!
Like GMLC posted it is a homeowner mower so it will not hold for commercial use,
The day I bought mine I was looking at the Gravely, dealer said it cuts lower tan 4" at the highest that is the only thing besides the price I didn't like about it I although is was cheaper than the eXmark 21" S series 100 more for the X series it was something like $1,200. For that price I just get another 28" Worldlawn.

Overall I really like the Gravely, although is now a back up!!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXN1EL View Post
It is an OK mower, I love the handle, it is great for bagging leaves, it will fill the whole bag tight, the side discharge is crap as it will clog all the time, in about 10 lawn the sprig that holds the "blocker" came off. I remove the entire thing and now is a true side discharge mower!
Like GMLC posted it is a homeowner mower so it will not hold for commercial use,
The day I bought mine I was looking at the Gravely, dealer said it cuts lower tan 4" at the highest that is the only thing besides the price I didn't like about it I although is was cheaper than the eXmark 21" S series 100 more for the X series it was something like $1,200. For that price I just get another 28" Worldlawn.

Overall I really like the Gravely, although is now a back up!!
Well, long story short gravely bought both mowers back from me. They are not made for every day use. I had many issues with them. I do love the rest of my Gravelys.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
21" mower , advice needed , gravely , review , walk behind