Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

...anyway, here's what I do know. I listed my business with the same address and phone number as every other listing I have on the net. Then Google called my listed number and verified the information with a few basic questions about the business name, location, and services we provide.

Basically I'm saying it is not complicated if you don't make it complicated.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oh yeah, Google's wicked easy to understand. So I grabbed this office with the suite # issue in winter 08-09. Got my Google Local Business listing set up, it went live, life was good, and out of nowhere it went to Pending Review. I know that now you can actually call them but back then it was mostly through the forum and occasionally you could get an email in. Every time I reached out to try and find out what I did wrong, they emailed me a link to the quality guidelines and said "you've violated one of these." ok, which one? "please review our quality guidelines and fix your listing." So I just basically ignored my Local Business, then Places, now Plus page. But I want to start doing some Google Hangouts for my contractor clients (online workshops, etc) so I need to get this straightened out.

Question on the phone call from Google issue - I get 5-6 robocalls a week from companies claiming to be "working with Google." How do I know I'm talking to actual, legit Google?

So anyhow, I went through and created a new location with my home address the other night, set it up as a SAB, and verified it with the phone PIN. Apparently Google feels strongly about this address because as soon as I entered the PIN I started getting my analytics, which I haven't seen in (literally) years. I believe the beast approves.

Tony, thanks for verifying my instinct on how to approach things. I live 80 miles from DC but most of my clients are within 15 miles of DC. Ranking for this city matters for my business. Ranking for where I live? I've had three clients in my town the whole time I've been in business.

I know Places isn't the be-all end-all for me, but since I want to take advantage of the things Google likes (Authorship, video, doing hangouts) I don't want a stupid little error sucking away my ability to promo all that.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
Question on the phone call from Google issue - I get 5-6 robocalls a week from companies claiming to be "working with Google." How do I know I'm talking to actual, legit Google?
I specifically ask the question "You are a Google employee?". I have never had a problem with deciphering their answer. If they are not, it almost always elicits a response that begins with, "We are a..." or "We work with..." and leads quickly to a non-answer. Google employees have always led with "Yes". I then ask for a direct number I can call them back on. Google recognizes that these are businesses they're reaching during business hours and that it's not always the best time. Non-Google companies, in my experience, tend to be much pushier or simply say they'll call back later.

Quote:
Tony, thanks for verifying my instinct on how to approach things. I live 80 miles from DC but most of my clients are within 15 miles of DC. Ranking for this city matters for my business. Ranking for where I live? I've had three clients in my town the whole time I've been in business.
Any time. A couple of week ago, I looked deeper at your listed address versus your target market and my initial thought was, "Yuck.". lol You and Headz both have daunting markets, but he's showing exactly what a bit of sweat equity can reap. Just create manageable "bites" consisting of city breakouts and work it from there.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, it's not insurmountable. What makes me feel better about it is that for one thing, while it's a crowded market there aren't a lot of guys marketing themselves online well. It's why I didn't mind talking about what's working for me for social media as part of a panel discussion in January - out of that entire room full of people nodding their heads and saying "yes! yes!" maybe 1% will put the same sort of effort into it.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
out of that entire room full of people nodding their heads and saying "yes! yes!" maybe 1% will put the same sort of effort into it.
The other night, in an effort to see what advice I would change due to technology or SEO evolution, I made the mistake of strolling through the archives looking at the last 2 years of review requests. If I were to ballpark it, I'd say that a solid 75%, or more, didn't follow any of the advice we gave. Even the most basic, useful, techniques were not implemented. When I think of the amount of time that means we've given people, it's both amusing and sadly depressing.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha! I believe it. Hey, we're all busy. It's easy to get to a certain point and say "ok, good enough." It comes down to what you prioritize. I know I'm not killing it with SEO, and I know my sales copy could be better. I'm actually taking an online class in design and copywriting so hopefully between that and advice here, I can lurch ahead.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
It's easy to get to a certain point and say "ok, good enough." It comes down to what you prioritize.
To draw a parallel to beating your search rank competition, it's like surviving a Grizzly bear attack... you only have to be marginally better than the guy running next to you. You'd be surprised what a smart page file name and TITLE can do to help you.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep. Biggest jump I ever made in SERPs was when I got my homepage title right!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The previous reviews I looked at still had generic TITLES such as "Bob's Lawn Service" or "Bob's Contact Us Page". 20 seconds of work could give someone pages of rank advancement.

(for my example earlier in this thread, the organic results are now: Google rank is #1. Yahoo and Bing are actually the #1 and #2 results, showing both the home page and the localized page.)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post

Just create manageable "bites" consisting of city breakouts and work it from there.
ok, I'm sold. I picked 43 (!) cities and towns in my service area and started doing this. Not even twelve hours later... holy crap.