Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

fescue not greening up

Apartment complex had irritation set to water 3x per day for 12 min each zone. Went to take a soil sample and my probe went 16in down with NO effort. I was not responsible for watering. I am worried that the fescue was drowned. Very slow spring growth and hardly any green color. Fertilized with 16-4-8 about a month ago seeded with Pennington signature series in the fall. Any thoughts? Can post photos when I return to the property this week.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

12 mins isn't that much water for any of our systems... 3X/day of watering and never drying out plus Spring rains on cool dormant soil, should be stopped immediately...

Do you have clay, sand or a pleasant combination loam???
Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

fescue not greening up

Mostly red clay. Watering at 12min 3x per day in 3ft sidewalk planters. We have really high water pressure in these areas
Old 03-24-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

fescue not greening up

Sod was installed when the apartments were built 3 years ago. The previous lco scalped it with line trimmers every week for two years after so this is my first year trying to get the property back up to par. Of course they want me to work a miracle on a ridiculous budget. I'm basically spending out of my own pocket to help things along so I won't have my name associated with something that looks horrible.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it look that terrible and u didn't want your name associated with it...why would u bid the job in the first place with obviously them not paying u enough?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing to do is shut off the water and see how long it takes for the grass dries out enough to get the air necessary to grow again... that doesn't cost anyone any money at all...

What are you spending money on when it really hasn't started growing yet??? I'd apply some compost before anything else, becuz that will tell me what is going on in the soil,,, especially clay...

Sometimes, the best thing you can do with an abused lawn is to, treat it right,,, then just leave it alone for a while... grasses are able to survive on their own if we don't continue doing abusive things to it...

Are you having any luck at all, yet???
Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm using my own money for fert and a little extra labor just to get things cleaned up and to a maintainable point. It was very neglected. No weed control what so ever in almost 3 years. They are building 3 more complexes in the area so I don't mind doing a little extra to make sure I'm first in line for the installs on the new properties.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I understand that thinking, but ferts don't help much in anaerobic clay soils...

Did you get the water shutoff???
Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

The water will be shut off tomorrow morning. As far as adding compost, are you recommending that I simply spread a compost blend over the existing lawn or something else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just spread some decent compost over the lawn and it will be its first step back to normalcy... I understand the many ways in which plants benefit from simple compost and I am STILL amazed a week or so after application...

If you can make it affordable you are way ahead of the 8 ball...

BTW, in order to get the soils/turf back in shape I sell everything , at cost,,, and pay myself according to my feelings instead of the standard... that is only the first time of course...