Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

393.130 - Heavy Vehicles, Equipment and Machinery
These requirements are applicable to the transportation of heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery which operate on wheels or tracks, such as front end loaders, bulldozers, tractors and power shovels and which individually weigh 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) or more. Vehicles, equipment and machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) may be secured in accordance with these rules, the rules for automobiles, light trucks and vans, or the general freight requirements.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what do you guys recommend for just miscellaneous straps. i.e. wood, pipe, etc. What width strap would you like to have for just all around? 2" 3" or 4"?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've always used 4" straps. The 3" straps are usually good for 5,400 WLL like the 4" are, however I always liked the added width and "grip" of a wider strap.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I find it interesting that they can generalize the load requirements in the way they do. If the rear binders need to resist .8g of forward motion and .5 g in the lateral direction then you also need to consider the angles by which your chains are running between the equipment and the vehicle. The more 'sideways' the chains are running the greater the load on the chain (asymptotic).

For example, if the chain runs equally in the x, y, and z directions then the load experienced by each chain/binder is 1.73X greater than 1/2 the weight of the machine. So for a 10000 lb machine the load equates to approx 6900 lbs. Minimum Gr 70 chain would be 7/16". This of course assumes no friction.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is there a sleeve or protective sheathe for straps? I run a flatbed and use straps to hold down my implements. I find that even smoother edges tend to wear on the straps. I thought I had seen some type of sheathe for 3" straps but maybe I'm mistaken. That would satisfy the requirement to protect the strap. And at $23 for replacement straps, it would be worth it to get longer life. I have a garage full of worn straps that I only use on very light loads or around the ranch or as tow straps. The collection grows as I retire straps with nicks and small tears.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Is there a sleeve or protective sheathe for straps? I run a flatbed and use straps to hold down my implements. I find that even smoother edges tend to wear on the straps. I thought I had seen some type of sheathe for 3" straps but maybe I'm mistaken. That would satisfy the requirement to protect the strap. And at $23 for replacement straps, it would be worth it to get longer life. I have a garage full of worn straps that I only use on very light loads or around the ranch or as tow straps. The collection grows as I retire straps with nicks and small tears.
Yellow, I found this through a quick search. Just scroll down a bit and you'll see them, but this place has what you are describing. http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Flatbe...ner-Protectors

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Go too your local fire department and when they cycle out ther hoses get you one. Cut them up and the work perfect too protect the straps.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the fire hose idea. However, having to fish them through every time isn't desirable. When I had a strap that wore out, I would cut strips to make softeners and keep the leftover strap in the truck for future use. You an make a whole lot of softeners with a 30' strap.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If you checked at the fire dept in your area they might have some pieces of old fire hose you could use for some pretty cheap edge protection for your straps.

3 years in business, 28 residential & 4 commercial contracts