LawnSite Bronze Member

When are you aerating this spring?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

End of May usually.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

quick question... seems like you two ga boys know a thing or two about bermuda grass ( and old hangout spots! ) -- I have a bermuda lawn that only receives about 5-6 hrs of morning/early afternoon sun then the shadow of the house shades on side of the yard. I want to lay some TifGrand on that side....

what are your views on laying sod WITHOUT tilling the area first? just maybe a heavy raking first then lay the sod......... also if I have bermuda grass now that real THIN in that area im not sure if roundup would work now cuz the grass is still dormant. if i dont have to till im thinking i could just scalp the grass, then lay the new sod on top?

what are your thoughts?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what I'm about to tell you isn't the right way of doing it. With that being said, I have has great results in similar situations on my personal property. Roundup won't work when they grass is dormant. So wait for it to green up and hit it with roundup. Then way about a week and take a mower with a bagger and cut it as low as the mower will go. Then, depending on how big of an area, take a weed eater and cut it to pure dirt. Then either bag the debris or blow it in the woods if you have them. At this point you can throw down some top soil, just the dollar bag stuff, and rake or roll it smooth, and lay the sod. In about 3 weeks it will root into the soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If shade caused the problem...it will happen again. I am not close to your state, but I understand Bermuda needs plenty of sun.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsin1 View Post
quick question... seems like you two ga boys know a thing or two about bermuda grass ( and old hangout spots! ) -- I have a bermuda lawn that only receives about 5-6 hrs of morning/early afternoon sun then the shadow of the house shades on side of the yard. I want to lay some TifGrand on that side....

what are your views on laying sod WITHOUT tilling the area first? just maybe a heavy raking first then lay the sod......... also if I have bermuda grass now that real THIN in that area im not sure if roundup would work now cuz the grass is still dormant. if i dont have to till im thinking i could just scalp the grass, then lay the new sod on top?

what are your thoughts?
My front yard has tif sod and gets full sun for about the same amount of time and it does fine. Before you lay sod, I would try and build it up with topdressing and sand and really pamper that area with water and fert for a little.

I have done small patches of sod like exmarkking described with even less prep than he stated and it came in fine. We did the same thing in my neighbors yard after a bunch of it was ripped up for some type of underground repair and grading problem and essentially just threw the sod on top after it was raked/smoothed out. This is clearly not the best way and would do it the right way if it was a larger area.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsin1 View Post

what are your thoughts?
I would never till prior to laying sod. It will be bumpy for years. I had a shady section under a tall pine and laid a pallet of TifGrand under it. All I did was cut it really low then use my line trimmer to take it down to the dirt. I simply laid the sod on top of what was left of the 419. I blended the edges with sand and rolled it. The pictures show when it first went down and then 5 weeks later. I only get 5-6 hours of sun in this area.
Attached Images

Last edited by wrager; 03-26-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
If shade caused the problem...it will happen again. I am not close to your state, but I understand Bermuda needs plenty of sun.
This is true. However, It's my understanding that Tifgrand is supposed to be a more shade tolerant variety of bermuda. I don't have any personal experience with Tifgrand though.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I do ! I would say the hype is overstated. It has performed slightly better than 419 over the past two years. I will have to replace some patches where it has thinned alot.
http://www.tifgrand.com/

I may try celbration this year in a few spots. I have to go to Alabama to find it. http://www.celebrationbermudagrass.com/