Go Back   LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

whats the difference?

Dear Magnamatic,

I have been looking at your product and I have a question. What is the difference between your product and a bench grinder? And what justfies the high cost? For this kind of money, I would expect me to be able to slide the blade in, and it come out sharpened automatically!

I'm not knocking your product, by any means, because I dont know much about it. I'm just respectfully asking a question.

Thanks,
Zack
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

whats the difference?

Ask them ?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Sponsor

Hello Zack,

Thank you for your question.

I'll let you know there is a machine that you can just place the blade in, and it comes out finished automatically (for the most part), but it costs around $75,000. I only mention this because the expectation of automation is very expensive - you essentially need a CNC machining center with a programmer behind it. We have kept the hand-fed design because clamping the blade down creates a "set-up" time and takes more time, which makes the process cost more labor dollars.

UNDERSTANDING THE DIFFERENCES – Magna-Matic VS big box bench grinder

MOTORS - Our sharpeners are made in the USA, and we use USA made industrial motors with correct HP ratings. It is little known by general consumers that the horsepower ratings of tools purchased in BIG BOX stores are "phantom rated". This basically says the motor can be identified as a specific HP – let’s say 1 HP - but in actuality the motor can only provide 1 HP for 1-2 minutes then drops down, or it is 1 HP with no load (running idle) but only a ½ hp or less under load. Sometimes that 1 HP rating is only from the peak HP the motor achieves only in the first few seconds of start-up. Electric motor horsepower is a rating for a time interval under a load rating or under no load, but that information is usually not provided on the nameplate or to the consumer. For example there is no way possible that you can get a 5 HP air compressor at a big box store for $100, and have it be a full 5 HP motor. The 5 HP motor will cost 2-3 times the whole air compressor.

Conclusion – the motors we use in our sharpeners are actually the horsepower shown on the label under full-load, we also use INDUSTRIAL motors, which are the heaviest duty level that motor manufactures make. Our motors are also totally enclosed, fan cooled, and require no maintenance. The motors we use can be rebuilt/rewound – they are not cheap brush motors. The motors carry a 1 year warranty.

DESIGN – differences

A bench grinder is made for sharpening chisels, tool bits – steel that is usually 60 Rockwell hardness or greater, where small amounts of steel must be removed to achieve a sharp edge. There is no consistent way to maintain an angle. The hard grinding wheels and low RPM of bench grinders cause significant BURNING of low Rockwell hardness steels.
Magna-Matic Sharpeners are designed to quickly remove a large amount of steel from a lawnmower blade that is between 20-40 Rockwell hardness (this is the range of all mower blades). Our sharpeners are made to CONSISTENTLY produce a 30 degree angle (the MAG-8000 can do a range of 25-45 in 5 degree increments.) The sharpeners are designed to NOT BURN the mower blade, so the temper (hardening) is not changed/damaged. There is NO DRESSING of the grinding wheel required for Magna-Matic sharpeners.
ALL Magna-Matic equipment comes with a 2 year warranty, and 1 year manufacturer motor warranty. We have the most comprehensive warranties and customer service. When you purchase with us you get to deal DIRECTLY with the FACTORY – talk to people who make the equipment, and always have parts and support in stock.

To try and not make this post too long I’ll stop with those few main basics and give you some links to videos we have done that discuss more of these differences and information about the sharpeners.

You can see all our videos at www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp

Video about MAG-9000 functional features http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1SA6...grZC2wv4uyXc3Q

Video about MAG-9000 features of its construction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Udx...grZC2wv4uyXc3Q

Video about MAG-8000 functional features http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcw__...grZC2wv4uyXc3Q

Video about MAG-8000 features of its construction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI34O...grZC2wv4uyXc3Q

Difference between the MAG-9000 and MAG-8000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Qoq...grZC2wv4uyXc3Q

Remember feel free to ask more questions here or call me at 800-328-1110.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Typical Bench Grinder = lousy, inconsistent tool that can never maintain required, consistent angle. Motors are underpowered. Horrible grinding wheels.
Could never in wildest dream sharpen a mulching ("wavy") blade with any sense of a pro-edge.

But I didn't see a VERY important thought or question from you and that is how do I balance a blade AND ensure its flatness is within spec? Sharp blades are but one part of the process - dull blades destroy grass.

BUT! Unbalanced blades destroy spindles, gear boxes, and crankshafts.

Which do you think is more important?