Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this common in our industry?

I was just wondering something. For those of you who offer a vast array of services, is it common for you guys to conduct business with your competitors who offer services that you don't, and vise versa?

As I've mentioned on this forum, the company I work for does complete pest control, weed control, and lawn maintenance. Because we work in both fields, we find ourselves doing pest control for other landscaping companies and lawn care for other pest control companies. It just seems kind of odd when I think about how we're working with the "competition" like this. It's actually rather difficult to even think of them as competition under such circumstances. Is this type of thing normal? I never really hear of any other businesses doing business like this.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I past a lot of stuff around, Better to give it to someone you know.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

nothing wrong at all with working together, it is beneficial to both parties involved. they'll give you the business they can't handle, and you'll give them the business you can't handle. you'll be confident that the other party will perform quality work and everyone keeps their own customers
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The idea of "Competition" has been twisted and politicized as much as the idea of 'Capitalism" has...

The 'cut-throat capitalism' that everyone imagines that it is, is actually fascism...

Anyways, the wierd guy out there grubbing for every nickel he can get while bad-mouthing and undercutting fellow LCOs soon discovers he's in an ugly struggle for survival in which no good opportunity ever comes his way... J. Paul Getty made a comment that: To become wealthy you make sure everyone else around you becomes wealthier in the process too... (not exact quote)

I've gotten wonderful benefits from both giving and recieving referals and try not to be critical of others,,, unless they really are rip-offs doing absolute stupidity for work...
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say it's common. I try to hand out as many referrals to friends of mine as I can, as sometimes I'm not particularly good with a certain service and my friend has more knowledge and experience than I do. Sometimes it is the reverse. When a client asks me for a referral for a certain type of work, I try to always know someone who can help them. It helps my relationship with my client and helps someone I know at the same time. If it happens to just be a project I'm not familiar with (not like pest control or something else I'm not licensed to do) I will try to be on site during the project so I can learn more about it. Maybe eventually it turns into something I can do myself and add to my list of services offered.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think my question might have been misinterpreted a little bit, but that's okay. It may be "same difference" anyway. What I meant by "working with the competition" goes something like this: Clark Pest Control calls us to go over to their office and perform landscaping services. Then there's the situation where Grover Landscape Management LLC is one of our biggest pest control customers. We do the pest service for their offices, supply yards, nurseries, and even the owner's home. Of course this type of business relationship leads to the whole referral thing as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Then the answer is yes. That happens quite a bit around here.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I pass leads that are out of our service area to friends all the time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm seriously considering to call another LCO out to my house to do some land clearing and hauling. I'd have done this myself already, but I'm lacking the necessary trailer to haul this crap out. Plus I really don't have the time to get this project done properly. Any takers? Haha
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll take that as a "no"