Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
at the $3000 mark, there's not much difference in any of them.
Hustler is it then.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure about the prices

Looks like from other posts the twin on the bb is 3399 and the raptor I just keep finding 'under 3,000'. Huster is about 20 miles away compared to about 30 miles away for bb so that might factor in too.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I just went through the same process. I had it narrowed down to the the Bad Boy the Gravely ZT and the Hustler Raptor. I ended up with the Hustler Raptor.

Like what JB1 said they are all pretty much the same at this price point with a few exceptions. They all have the EZT hydros. The Bad Boy and the Gravely have fully welded tube frames the Exmark is the same as the Toro Timecutter MX series and I think the frame is stamped and riveted. The Hustler uses c channel and is bolted together . I did not like the stamped deck on the Gravely so that was out. The Bad Boy at that price point has the Briggs engine which I did not want plus the nearest dealer to me was about 40 miles away.

I have not had a chance to mow yet with the Raptor but have put 2 hours on it just playing around in my driveway and it seems well designed and constructed for what limited time i have on it.

Honestly if I had a extra 900-1000 in my budget for a mower I would have went for the Gravely ZT XL which is a full welded tubular frame, fabricated deck and the zt-2800 hydros which have a oil reservoir and can be serviced compared to the EZT's which are sealed. I will only be mowing a flat .4 acre area and the Raptor is probably overkill for what i need but after comparing everything at that price point I figured the raptor was the best bang for the buck
Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

So the Gravely has a stamped deck but a fabricated frame and the Raptor has a fabricated deck and a stamped frame (so to speak)? Bad Boy has both welded, but crappy engine? So really they are all good in some areas and bad in some areas, but more money gets you into the area where they are all where you'd want them. Okay, that sounds about right then with the prices all being about the same.

So you would choose out of those options to have the raptor which has the fabricated deck but not fabricated frame? It's closer to me too, so I'm leaning that way too.

Just to muddy things a little bit, what would be the next step up in the Hustler line from the raptor?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

gravely zt xl

Are we in the $4,000 range for the zt xl then?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

The Sport still has the EZT hydros the only thing you are really gaining is is a welded tubular frame. My dealer was around $3999 for The 42" Gravely ZT XL. But you get the good frame fabricated deck Kawasaki motor and Zt2800's. I almost went with one but I just moved from a townhouse and still needed a good String trimmer and edger and that would have killed my budget
Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

cost

What are we looking at for cost on the sport with a non-b&s engine?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I would go with the Hustler or Bad boy with the Kawasaki motor. Both have fabricated decks. The bad boy has hydro trans axles which are good. Couldn't find what the hustler has but probably good too looking at the rest of the mower. They looks like an good cost efficient mowers and will probably work just as good for you as a $6,000 machine. I would stay away from the gravely and exmark. Exmark makes good machines but the Quest is junk.