Register free!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, they are worse than someone in the business. What they have been doing all this time overrides all of the research, trials, etc from scientists and professionals in the business. So many "experts" in this state, yet most turf areas look like crap.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have one client like this now. I almost dropped her my first year. Super picky, has me crank out Scott's product, complained about my clean cut razor sharp squared up edging. She had an award winning lawn in her past history. Lawn is a total thatch fest.

I give her credit ...she at least tolerates my mulch mowing and I cut it at 3.25" once warmer weather rolls in.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Like usual been driving myself nuts trying to figure out a reward system that won't back fire on me. Too many qualifiers and stipulations.

I really don't want to spin my wheels on clients who don't get the program. Just seems like an exercise in futility to me. Maybe the Lawn Personal Trainer angle is too complicated. I've had a few family members say, "it's just grass...".

That angle would work for a rock garden.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe their reward is having a nice lawn.

My doctor does not give me a reward if I go exercise and eat well, nor would I expect him too. Good health and no medications is my reward.

You can only do so much to help people have a nice lawn.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post

My doctor does not give me a reward if I go exercise and eat well, nor would I expect him too. Good health and no medications is my reward.

Yes that pretty much sums it up.

My goal for the region is to have the most spot on manicured cut, healthiest disease free lawns around that are rarely if ever bagged. Substantially less use of herbicides etc.

It's going to be really tough to control these aspects unless I mow them as well.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Yes that pretty much sums it up.

My goal for the region is to have the most spot on manicured cut, healthiest disease free lawns around that are rarely if ever bagged. Substantially less use of herbicides etc.

It's going to be really tough to control these aspects unless I mow them as well.

Posted via Mobile Device
One thing post a picture in your local paper Lawn of the week Service By you will help you make more money.

Res.Lawns I mow at 3''+ I have never treated them for crabgrass since I been mowing them, now lawns I don't mow and treat. They need that treatment. I tried to explain to them but some wants nice green short lawns.

So good luck
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
One thing post a picture in your local paper Lawn of the week Service By you will help you make more money.

Res.Lawns I mow at 3''+ I have never treated them for crabgrass since I been mowing them, now lawns I don't mow and treat. They need that treatment. I tried to explain to them but some wants nice green short lawns.

So good luck
That's a great idea. Just buy space in the paper and play it up as lawn of the week by my Co. name. My trailer is very notable with grass graphics and one of the more distinct around.

Self and Co. Promotion....? Nobody else will do it. Word of mouth is slow and typically doesn't promote market density.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post

I know a few doctors that fire non compliant patients. Hard to help those that do not help themselves or are their own worst enemy. Same is true in the lawn business.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

When I talked to my contact person here in the local district for herbicide licensing last year. He really felt that at some point the industry will get to tighter limits on some of the chemicals used and the bar will at some point be raised on proper turf management as being a qualifier for herbicide use. I'm not sure how that would be enforced...?

During blowout last year an herbicide applicator for a bigger regional Co. flat out admitted that if wind and weather conditions were strictly followed...they'd hardly ever spray.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Re: crabgrass. Real life example from last year. This client used to be a licensed applicator back in the day just shy of 2 decades. They absolutely love my cut quality and attention to detail but last summer he really poured on the high nitrogen fert and went to daily watering. Lawn is small and I flat out had to double cut it and was basically forced to bag and mow it down to 2.5" which is as short as I go.

Sure enough the crab grass really flourished and loved those conditions for some reason.

Posted via Mobile Device