Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydric/Mesic/Xeric Grasses

Anybody heard of these terms before? I have a bid with the VA for taking care of their property and this is how they have their scope of work worded. They have 7750 sq ft of Hydric Lawn, 24865 sq ft of Mesic Lawn, and 5261 sq ft of Xeric Grasses. I get the Xeric Grasses, they are bunch grasses planted all around the building. A botany glossary says Hydric needs lots of water, Mesic needs medium water, and Xeric requires no water. But what types of grasses are these? No one has an as-built plan, or any type of inventory of what was planted. We are in Montana so I would assume cool season grasses, but it is the government....
Exmark Navigator
Toro Walk Behinds
Echo Trimmers
Husqvarna Blowers
http://valleyviewlawncare.com
Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd guess maybe the hydric is flowers, landscaping, etc? mesic being the actual grass lawn. this just judging by the square footage.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What do they want you to do??? mow and turn on the sprinklers???
Old 03-23-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

We have some areas that were tore up by some construction and will need to be restored. Lawns areas.
Exmark Navigator
Toro Walk Behinds
Echo Trimmers
Husqvarna Blowers
Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Then you could have a problem restoring a Mesic area, with a Hydric grass... or even worse putting a Hydric grass in a Xeric Zone...

I'd ask some very important questions to those involved, and have them turn me on to the necessary papers, articles and personal contacts regarding this situation before getting involved...

My first guess is,,, that very few people have a clue as to what is ACTUALLY taking place,and they throw Green Words around, to feel superior and they want ONLY superior people working for them...
This could be fun... let us know what's going on when you get more details...
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Then you could have a problem restoring a Mesic area, with a Hydric grass... or even worse putting a Hydric grass in a Xeric Zone...

I'd ask some very important questions to those involved, and have them turn me on to the necessary papers, articles and personal contacts regarding this situation before getting involved...

My first guess is,,, that very few people have a clue as to what is ACTUALLY taking place,and they throw Green Words around, to feel superior and they want ONLY superior people working for them...
Maybe looking the terms up on the net would be a starting point
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Maybe looking the terms up on the net would be a starting point
That's already been done...

Applying the knowledge to an area where no one has a clue,,, which is which and what is what ,,, means that the new guy is starting from scratch without any idea why it was setup that way and what their "END GAME" was supposed to be...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

I have been through the contracting officer, and his reply is that someone in Utah has the plans, and he has know way to get them. After a brief site visit I see what they have classified as these three grasses. There is only Kentucky Bluegrass (Hydric) for the irrigated lawn areas, Karl Forester(Mesic), and Elijah Blue(Xeric). Feed, mow and care for the KB, cut the Karl Forester back each winter, and let the deer eat the Elijah Blue. They most likely had someone write the scope after reading the landscape architects rough proposal.
Exmark Navigator
Toro Walk Behinds
Echo Trimmers
Husqvarna Blowers
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with Karl or Elijah, but I imagine they're easy to tell apart...Normal lawncare then except that Forrester grasses get chopped once a year,,, hope they don't harbor lots of voles and misc. other vermin... So there is no weed control necessary in the 'off' areas either???
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Karl or Elijah, but I imagine they're easy to tell apart...Normal lawncare then except that Forrester grasses get chopped once a year,,, hope they don't harbor lots of voles and misc. other vermin... So there is no weed control necessary in the 'off' areas either???
There is twice yearly weed control spraying, and many other items in the scope. Mulch, snow removal, aerating, spring/fall cleanup, parking lot sweeping, etc. I was just a little confused with their terminology. Wasn't sure if they were terms that were thrown around before I was born, or some knucklehead trying to sound smarter than he is.
Exmark Navigator
Toro Walk Behinds
Echo Trimmers
Husqvarna Blowers